On Dealing with the Water board...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, reviewing my outgoings...water rates are unacceptable.

Seeing as I havent used any in nearly 5 years...

The Board seem to spend my money on getting clean water to people in other countries...who no doubt do not pay them for it...

I am told I will have to pay if my house is inhabitable.

O-Kay...

How do I prove my miserable hovel (Worth £20K less than neighbours due to sheer lack of maintence) is not inhabitable? The central heating hasnt worked in a decade. and its full of the familys junk.

What do you think? My financial situation, is, as usual, dire.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Get a water meter? You may still have to pay a standing charge depending upon your water board, but it would immediately reduce your outgoings. In some areas like where I live, your waste water charges are related to your consumption, so a meter would show that you’re using zero and hence might reduce your waste water costs too.

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Do you live in the house?
Is the house habitable? Your post is a bit confusing!

The standing charges are there to pay for the infra structure, pipes and such, leading to your house.

I do not think the British water companies have many ’clean water’ projects in the developing countries?
I do not recall anything like that from when I lived in England, is that a new thing?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think you’ll have to live with your losses and get a meter installed as soon as you can. Or if you’re really not using it, have it disconnected. You’re paying for the supply of water I think, not what you’re using.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I'd say ask the council for a council taxrecipt during the period of no habitation. Ask for the supply to be cut off, but bear in mind that this could end up costing you a lot in connection fees.

Water metres are ok if you are using limited water, but move a famly in and it's quite expensive.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
It’s a mixed bag, but I don’t think it is compulsory to have a meter. IIRC, some water companies try to insist that you do have a meter, or you find that you’re paying far more for a flat rate supply. We have moved from a supply area and company where we paid a flat rate and did not have a meter, and our water & sewerage cost quite a lot, but we have now moved to an area seemingly with meters only, and the bill has reduced to a more reasonable level. There used to be a (often disputed) rule of thumb whereby if you had the same or a greater number of people in the house compared to the number of bedrooms, then a water meter would cost you more than paying by flat rate. I don’t know if that is still true, but paying according to consumption seems the fairest solution.

Reactions: santaman2000

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
In the UK, you can either pay Water Rates, which is a fixed charge, regardless of how much you use or you can have a water meter fitted then pay based on what you use. I think there are standing charges, included in that.
Following the fitting of a meter you can ask, within 2 years, to go back on rates if you end up paying more.
I have recently gone on to a meter and the estimate saving was £200 a year.

Sent using Tapatalk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I remember people at work discussing how best to fill the toilet cistern to use as little water as possible.

I guess the pennies they saved on water they had to pay as pounds forther down the time, when the sewage pipes got blocked up?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
In Scotland the flat water rate is around 360 per year [domestic water and sewerage] and is charged / paid along with council tax. You can apparently get one or either metered. Many round me have private water supply and septic tanks [living in the middle of nowhere] so do not get charged.

Businesses are metered, and so as such [as far as I know] you can change your supplier like with electric or gas suppliers.

Maybe you could say your going onto a private water supply - are there any wells / spring near by? - not sure of how to do this or what other implications are!

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I remember people at work discussing how best to fill the toilet cistern to use as little water as possible.

I guess the pennies they saved on water they had to pay as pounds forther down the time, when the sewage pipes got blocked up?

There are those 'eco' friendly ones which use less water, but to shift anything more substantial the just urine you have to flush more than once :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There are those 'eco' friendly ones which use less water, but to shift anything more substantial the just urine you have to flush more than once :)

I’m of the opinion that a turd requires plenty of water, but cleaning your teeth doesn’t require a tap running.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In Scotland the flat water rate is around 360 per year [domestic water and sewerage] and is charged / paid along with council tax.
Ours is a little different. Either you have your own well or you connect to the supply provided by a single approved provider, in my case the city. That said, your standing rates don’t sound particularly pensive. My monthly bill (metered) averages about $50 - $60 so a total of $600 - $720 per year (or £400 - £480 per year) mine is higher but it also includes my trash removal an recyclables pick-up. Even allowing for that, I think you’re getting it cheaper.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon

Old toilet cisterns often hold and use far more water than is necessary. There's been various campaigns getting people to fit something to the cistern to reduce wasted water. I remember my local company sending out a plastic bag you filled with water and put in the cistern. Yes you can save money but considering there may be water shortages soon it's worth saving processed, chlorinated water from simply being flushed away.

Those that need multiple flushes, eat more fibre!;)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Old toilet cisterns often hold and use far more water than is necessary. There's been various campaigns getting people to fit something to the cistern to reduce wasted water. I remember my local company sending out a plastic bag you filled with water and put in the cistern. Yes you can save money but considering there may be water shortages soon it's worth saving processed, chlorinated water from simply being flushed away.

Those that need multiple flushes, eat more fibre!;)

I think an Eco toilet is designed to use about 4 liters for a large flush?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE