1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until the end of March, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Olight torches, headlamps etc

Discussion in 'Brights, Gizmo's & toys' started by Tony, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:13 PM.

1. Tony

Tony White bear (Admin)
    Admin

I've got a couple of products in for review, the HS2 headlamp and the S1R Baton 2, both look nice and seem to perform well but I don't know a lot about the manufacturer or their other products.

If any of you have experience with their products I'd like your thoughts and opinions. cheers!

2. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Native

Never owned one but they get a decent rep. Chinese company, quality is pretty good. They seem to keep up with the technology for LEDs, USB charging, batteries etc. I replaced my headtorch with an armytek recently, never went for the olight H1R as there was not much to differentiate from the armytek but it was definitely a contender.

be interesting to see how they work out, the baton gets a good rep.

Oh and that reminds me....

#2 Chainsaw, Mar 15, 2019 at 1:12 PM
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 1:23 PM
  3. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

I reckon Olight are right on top of the game at the moment. Their products are innovative and user friendly, not too complicated and very nicely made.

I have the SR1 Baton 2, and the S1 Mini. I’ll get some pics and thoughts up here over the weekend sometime.

4. foobar

I have a couple of Olights. I bought a rather silly X7R Marauder when it was on sale and that's great, but it's huge and heavy and can only be recharged, you can't change the batteries like you can in the non-R model. I love it, build quality is very good, USB-C charge socket, the power button lights up if the torch moves which is handy in the pitch black. I volunteer for my local RAYNET group and am sometimes in a field in the middle of nowhere until late at night, so that's my use case for such a big torch. It's bordering on a searchlight, and you could use it as a hand warmer.

It came with a free S2A Baton. That's a useful torch, takes a double AA, but I find the button isn't obvious and it takes a second to find it. If it had the power button on the base (like my older Nitecore SRT5 and SRT6) it'd be perfect for a pocket torch. I like the convenience of AA batteries, even if they're not as powerful as a CR123 or 18650.

I do need a better head torch, I have a Petzl Pixa 1 which is fine for close up work but isn't designed for say, hiking at night. When I decide to get a brighter one I'll get an Olight. The UK reseller is based in Ireland and the service is very good in my experience so far.

5. C_Claycomb

Mod

The Olight that I have is superb quality. Right down to the box it came in! Apple level design and care went into the box alone.

Found this picture on: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/43238. This is not the polished version that I have, but otherwise the same. So far, I have considered it too nice to use, it is still in its box! Pretty good review.

[​IMG]

6. Keith_Beef

Keith_Beef Native

I had an SR1 Baton for a while. Wonderful little torch, I used to keep it clipped into the cuff of my Barbour when cycling to and from the railway station for the commute to work and back.

But then it failed after I think about four months of use, wouldn't charge any more. Tried a different battery in it: same problem. So at a guess, it was the charging circuit. Back to Amy Zone and refunded. I'm seriously thinking of getting another one, though. It really was that good.