Old Survival Aids Catalog Item Watch/Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Curious to know, in an old Survival Aids catalog early 80s I believe they offered a watch with a compass..the watch I think swung out of the way to reveal a compass underneath and as far as I recall, it was EXPENSIVE! I lost the catalog and have not seen that for years. Can anyone recall this item?
Also, has anyone used one of these watches with a compass, they have digital ones nowadays, any experiences?
Monk

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I remember that item. It was expensive. I have a timex expedition watch with compass (digital). It is quite accurate, but it looses its "bearings" after a while and needs to be re-calibrated. This is achieved by rotating it twice. It cost around £25-30 IIRC. A good tough watch.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
ANDYLASER,
glad that you recall ithat item! Can you recall any info on it such as when roughly you remember they had it? I thought it was a novel idea but did not think much of it until YEARS LATER then I had lost the catalog!!
Monk

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Monk,

I saw this in Nauticalia's catalogue the other week.
http://www.nauticalia.com/uk-info/flip-lid_compass_watch/4570.html
Its not cheap but I think its what you are looking for. There are other options for compass watches, you can get a compass that fits on a watch strap or buy a digital watch with compass, I have a Casio prg 40 or something like that with compass, altimeter, barometer and thermometer - it also has a watch. I have never had a problem with it in the last 6 years or so. It appears to be reasonably accurate but I always use a manual compass for serious navigation.

Casio do a number of different models with varying features, I think they do one with just a watch and compass option. Downside of these are that when the battery fails you lose your compass.

Cheers

JFW

Fatbloke

Aug 10, 2004
Essex
Hi Monk,

I'm sure I bought one of those from Survival Aids in the '80s. If it is the same one it was made by Timberland, grey bezel, clear face, waterproof and with a brown leather strap. Cost about £400 even back in the early 80's. Great looking watch, the compass popped out of the mounting to give a more accurate reading. I never really used it 'in extremis' but it was definately better than the little button compasses you can get - lot more expensive as well!

Mine came to grief in a motorbike accident and is sadly no more.

Hope this helps, Fatbloke.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I use the Suunto Vector watch regularly on the hills and have been very pleased with it. It has a digital compass that I use as a quick reference or back-up. I stick with the Silva Explorer for serious navigation. The altimeter on the Vector is a great aid to accurate nav, however, and the logging function is superb for filling in the BMC Log-book after the trip.

Ted W

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have a 1993 catalogue and I have just had a look and no watch of this description, although they did sell the Swiss Army range of watches, and I am sure that they made a watch like the one that you are refereing to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE