Old sewing machines (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
On her excellent blog Turbogirl posted a great article about old sewing machines, and suggested that we start a thread showing old sewing machines. That's exactly what I'm trying to start here.

So, here is mine. Bought in a charity shop for a fiver, it isn't in working order as it is missing a needle and a few other bits, and needs some tlc, but the mechanism is still nice and smooth and I hope to see it restored to use as my wife would love it. I haven't been able to locate a serial number despite going all over it (including inside and underneath) with a torch, but from the weblink Turbogirl posted in her blog, I think it is a model 12.

Anyway, here are the pics.
9061294576_d11e1217c7_b.jpg

9061284788_ffedefc549_b.jpg

9061299374_f9694fd8dd_b.jpg

9061302160_56631155c2_b.jpg

9061318024_22a0b5deab_b.jpg

9061315408_243431f617_b.jpg

I can't be the only person with an old machine, so let's see yours.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
That's a work of art. Love to see these old tools still in use, so good luck with the refurb'. I'm afraid I can't post up any pics as I'm machine less, but it does get me wondering what happened to the old singer treadle type machine that was at Grans as a kid, might have to do some family investigation. Thanks for showing:D

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
There's one exactly like that in our attic. Not sure if it's in working order. It might be useful for sewing leather though.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you take the serial no. from the base of the pillar, visible in the fourth picture, and look up the Singer serial no. database it'll tell you what model it is, where it was built ( probably Kilbowie in Scotland ) and the year of manufacture. These old Singers are just superb pieces of engineering - they just go on and on............There's a great resource, oldsingersewingmachineblog.co.uk, which is no longer active due to ilness but there's an amazing amount of detailed info written in clear English as an archive - there's enough info there to completely refurb most old manual Singers and a few of the first electrics as well.

I've got a fabulous 1949 201k which I'll photograph tomorrow and post a little about here..............hope this is of help, atb mac

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
If you go on Singer's site you can date your machine from the serial number and they will even email you a birth certificate for it.

I have a Singer 29/4 leather patching machine, Singer told me it was made in the Clydebank factory and left on the 7th of June 1897 - making it 116 years old.

My other Singer 29k is only 89 years old.

I also have my Gran's model 67 dating from 1935 and an even older hand cracker.

Richard

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Here's some photo's of my Old Lady at 116 years young she can still stitch 3/8" of leather. She's a little loose in her joints now but I lover her.

Unlike domestic sewing machines she's a walking foot machine (no under feed) the foot moves along the work as you sew and you turn the foot not the work. These where made for patching boot and shoes.

I don't use her much as I prefer hand sewing. My 29K is currently under going a rebuild then I might use that a little more as their great for heavy jobs not just leather.

Cheers

Richard

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
On her excellent blog Turbogirl posted a great article about old sewing machines, and suggested that we start a thread showing old sewing machines. That's exactly what I'm trying to start here.

So, here is mine. Bought in a charity shop for a fiver, it isn't in working order as it is missing a needle and a few other bits, and needs some tlc, but the mechanism is still nice and smooth and I hope to see it restored to use as my wife would love it. I haven't been able to locate a serial number despite going all over it (including inside and underneath) with a torch, but from the weblink Turbogirl posted in her blog, I think it is a model 12.

Anyway, here are the pics.
9061294576_d11e1217c7_b.jpg

9061284788_ffedefc549_b.jpg

9061299374_f9694fd8dd_b.jpg

9061302160_56631155c2_b.jpg

9061315408_243431f617_b.jpg

I can't be the only person with an old machine, so let's see yours.

Looking at that it must be turn of the century (1900 ish) as it uses the shuttles not the spools.

Try Singer's site with the serial number you might be surprised.

Richard

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If you take the serial no. from the base of the pillar, visible in the fourth picture, and look up the Singer serial no. database it'll tell you what model it is, where it was built ( probably Kilbowie in Scotland ) and the year of manufacture. These old Singers are just superb pieces of engineering - they just go on and on............There's a great resource, oldsingersewingmachineblog.co.uk, which is no longer active due to ilness but there's an amazing amount of detailed info written in clear English as an archive - there's enough info there to completely refurb most old manual Singers and a few of the first electrics as well.

I've got a fabulous 1949 201k which I'll photograph tomorrow and post a little about here..............hope this is of help, atb mac

So you are saying that the serial number on my machine is 2207499, the bottom row of numbers in the picture below?

If so, that dates the machine to 1877.

Else I've misunderstood, since I just can't find any other numbers on the machine.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Here's some photo's of my Old Lady at 116 years young she can still stitch 3/8" of leather. She's a little loose in her joints now but I lover her.

Unlike domestic sewing machines she's a walking foot machine (no under feed) the foot moves along the work as you sew and you turn the foot not the work. These where made for patching boot and shoes.

I don't use her much as I prefer hand sewing. My 29K is currently under going a rebuild then I might use that a little more as their great for heavy jobs not just leather.

Cheers

Richard

Now you made me drewl all over my keyboard!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
No Mike, you didn't misunderstand, one of those two numbers is the correct one. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that it was made in 1877, there are a surprising number of very old machines still in use, and very few spares that are not fairly readily available..such great engineering!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE