Old School patrol pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I picked up this pack recently off Gumtree for a good price and thought I would share:

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

The advert wasn't that descriptive and I guess the seller didn't have much info on the pack but from the Buckles etc it certainly looked like and old Berghaus model. Anyway the only info I could find on it was here in this old BCUK thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67842&page=20

On receiving it I was quite chuffed to find out it was an old Berghaus Trojan and as you would expect its got the usual Berghaus quality.

I'm interested to find out however why this model wasn't more popular over the years? Unlike the Munro (for example) which has been a popular choice for at least 30 years this is the first one I've seen for sale or in use. The design is a bit odd, the pack is quite thin and square shaped and with a smaller lid then then you might expect for a 45 litre pack. That said it seems like a pretty functional design and comfy carry.

Did anyone used to own this pack or know why it wasn't so popular? Cheers

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
I never remember seeing that pack back in the day. I remember the Munro day sack well, I almost bought one back before they started issuing the day/patrol sack or using rocket pouches. The slimmer Berghaus packs were normally made for/popular with climbers, as the pack doesn't impede arm mobility. I guess it falls into the bracket of being too big for a day pack and a little too small for an overnighter, and with it being green it wouldn't be that popular with the muesli breakfast climbing fraternity. (as opposed to the bacon and egg breakfast climbers that I was a part of)

Not withstanding it looks in good nick and should serve you well.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Yes i remember seeing a few being used. They were never that popular in the service since the thick waistbelt got in the way when wearing belt kit. The munro can be carried higher on the back meaning it was much more comfortable. I still use the munro often, although not in work as times have moved on and the kit has gotten a bit bulky to fit in the old munro.

Tonyuk

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Yes I forgot about the webbing scenario and think it is probably of less use then a standard daysack. Good for carrying an axe though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE