Old but still relevant!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
A topic on another thread the other day got me reaching for my copy of "The Art of Travel or Shifts and Contrivances Available in Wild Countries" by Francis Galton. My copy is a 1971 facsimile reprint of the 1872 book that is a revised reprint of a book first published in 1855.

Francis Galton (1822-1911) was a first cousin of Charles Darwin and a celebrated scientist, explorer, geographer and traveller in his day, although his later work on eugenics has marred his reputation as a scientist and relegated him to the backwaters of science history.

Galton got the idea for his book while exploring South western Africa in 1850-51. He realised that all travellers find their own solutions to common problems and that it would be helpful to share travellers' experiences- just as we do here on BushcraftUK- and he produced his book culled from the experiences of travellers and soldiers from all parts of the world. In the Victorian age of exploration, his book was invaluable.

What strikes me as I read is how many of the problems and solutions are the same ones as crop up regularly on the site. For example, he devotes nearly three pages on making tea! He deals with organising and equipping an expedition, transport, navigation, clothing, sleeping systems, bivouacking and camping, firearms, knots, making and mending kit and so on; its all there.

If you are a bushcrafter who hasn't come across this book, you are missing a treat.

Francis Galton " The Art of Travel (or Shifts and Contrivances Available in Wild Countries)" David and Charles 1971 ISBN 0 7153 5139 7. Also available on KIndle.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Great, that sounds like it's worth a read, Oldtimer. Well done Jared thanks, good info...:thumbsup:.
It's not that I'm too tight to buy it, but I'm trying to bankrupt Jeff Bezos of Amazon by not spending any money with his company. Another 72.5 billion and I've done him.......:laugh:

Reactions: Dogoak

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Some more Old Books available on KIndle which may be of interest:

Randolph B Marcy "The Prairie Traveler , A Handbook for Overland Expeditions".
Published by Authority of the War Department by Harper, New York 1859
Marcy was a Captain in the US Army and produced this book as a guide for those on the overland wagon trains to Oregon and California. Mainly historical interest, but plenty of practical tips still relevant today. I have to say that my only experience of being chased by Indians was when an Apache park ranger was after my fee for camping in a National Park.

Nessmuk, "Woodcraft" 1900
Probably well-known to users of this site, but if not, well worth a read. Covers almost all of the skills we still use today.

Dan Beard, "The Book of Camp Lore and Woodcraft" 1920 New York
Beard was the founder of the first Boy Scouts Society. I assume that this is the precursor of the Boy Scouts of America. Personally, I find his lack of attribution to BP and his unctuous foreword intensely irritating and am fairly certain I would have disliked the man intensely. However, the book is comprehensive and does what it sets out to do. It covers all aspects of skills still relevant.

Charles Dudley Warner "In the Wilderness"
I've forgotten when this was published, but Warner lived between 1829 and 1900. It's mostly tall tales and reminiscences, but you can pick up a lot of good tips- and it is entertaining!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Can you download Gutenberg on to a Kindle? I tend to avoid anything I have to pay for. As to Saxonaxe's comment, Mrs Besos has a head start on him. I have sympathy for her as none of us like being ****ed by Amazon.

Sent on my Amazon Fire!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Can you download Gutenberg on to a Kindle? I tend to avoid anything I have to pay for. As to Saxonaxe's comment, Mrs Besos has a head start on him. I have sympathy for her as none of us like being ****ed by Amazon.

Sent on my Amazon Fire!

Gutenberg offers downloads in a few different formats, and I'm unfamiliar with what a Kindle is able to display. I can only suggest that you look at Gutenberg and see what you can find.

Reactions: oldtimer

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Sent on my Amazon Fire!

Yeah, download one of the .mobi
If your Kindle has wifi, you can attach it to an email and send to your kindle's email address.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201974220

If doesn't have wifi, need USB cable to transfer.

Reactions: oldtimer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE