Off to Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ESL Jake

Sep 22, 2015
Bures,Essex
Off to Sweden tomorrow with Crossland Kelly of this parish, think I everything covered but anybody got any last minute tips or bits of kit they wished they had taken in hindsight.Going for 9 days in total with five days �� in the middle.
Thanks

Jake

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Take a bottle of liquor.
Expensive in Sweden, and available in special shops only!

Have fun!

In Sweden try to get to a builders/DIY store and get some Mora knives cheaply.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
As Janne says, hard tack is expensive, if you like a tipple take it with you, same as for food stuffs, depending on airline policy, mode of transport. Did you / do you ave a planning thread ? where are you going to ?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Off to Sweden tomorrow with Crossland Kelly of this parish, think I everything covered but anybody got any last minute tips or bits of kit they wished they had taken in hindsight.Going for 9 days in total with five days �� in the middle.
Thanks

Jake

Having arrived at the Eurostar terminal in Kent after a 2.5 hr drive, I rather wished I'd remembered my passport. :lmao:

Have a great time, it sounds good. :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
As it is not remote, you will be fine with supplies like food.

I guess there are organized places to put up your tent or shelter, with fire places and such.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It seems to be nicely organized. It is called a 'frilufts omrade' in Swedish which can translate to Outdoor area. Or 'naturomrade' which is Nature area

Like a wild park, with prepared ski tracks in winter, trails in summer.
Safe, clean. well kept.
Probably not much fish there as I expect lot of people fishing there.

When you rent the canoes you can get good info about nice huts, and possible restrictions.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
It seems to be nicely organized. It is called a 'frilufts omrade' in Swedish which can translate to Outdoor area. Or 'naturomrade' which is Nature area

Like a wild park, with prepared ski tracks in winter, trails in summer.
Safe, clean. well kept.
Probably not much fish there as I expect lot of people fishing there.

When you rent the canoes you can get good info about nice huts, and possible restrictions.

Thanks Janne.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is not that bad.....
Norway is more expensive.

You guys come to this Island and see what high costs really mean!

Only thing I would take with me from UK is Alcohol and tobacco. If you drink and/or smoke.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Looks lovely, I'm sure you'll have a great time!
I've always wished there were shelters (vindskydd) like the one in the video here in the UK. and lakes. and forests where you can roam freely. :)

Not sure what to suggest to bring, maybe brown sauce if you can't live without it and painkillers or other medication (because it is a right pain to figure out what you want from the pharmacy when you don't know the "proper" name for something and they aren't called the same). Oh and mozzy repellant, definitely bring that!

Also make sure you stop for some cinnamon buns and chocolate balls on the way there or back.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I would agree, but not on the Mozzie repellant. You can get better ones in Sweden than in UK.
Personally I like the old fashioned stuff, with tar.
Messy, but smells nice and works!

HP Sauce is common in Sweden.

Looks lovely, I'm sure you'll have a great time!
I've always wished there were shelters (vindskydd) like the one in the video here in the UK. and lakes. and forests where you can roam freely. :)

Not sure what to suggest to bring, maybe brown sauce if you can't live without it and painkillers or other medication (because it is a right pain to figure out what you want from the pharmacy when you don't know the "proper" name for something and they aren't called the same). Oh and mozzy repellant, definitely bring that!

Also make sure you stop for some cinnamon buns and chocolate balls on the way there or back.

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I would agree, but not on the Mozzie repellant. You can get better ones in Sweden than in UK.
Personally I like the old fashioned stuff, with tar.
Messy, but smells nice and works!

HP Sauce is common in Sweden.

I find the really strong lifeventure stuff in a silver bottle that you can get in Cotswolds works best for me and the smell is more pleasant​, which is a bonus in polite company. :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have read that you can make your own by steeping Citronella leaves in oil. Is supposed to be better for you than DEET based proucts.
Tar is supposed to be carcinogen if used over prolonged periods of time, but I have not heard that the old folks in Norrland had any problems like that. Died young before the C could develop maybe?

I have mentioned it on another thread, but those one use sachets of mustard, ketchup *and Brown Sauce) you get in fast food places are incredibly useful while in Nature.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE