October woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
(Imgur photo resizing is having a sulk, hence the dodgy photo sizes)
After wandering around and sleeping under a tarp amongst the Gorse bushes up on the Sussex Downs last week, it was nice to return for a few nights luxury in my tent in the woods.
The weather was warm and settled so after the 40 minute trek into the wood shelter was not my priority, water for brews was...
coffee.gif

So, off to the well. The dipper is courtesy of ASDA kitchen section plus some sink plug chain and paracord.

T5CKNSAh.jpg

Rig the filter system to fill a couple of Ortlieb bags

jgLy8X5h.jpg

Now to sort out home for 4 nights...Cheap little tent, about 5 years old, and gets used quite often but bullet proof for woodland dwelling (I wouldn't take it up a mountain though)...
lol-030.gif
)

ksjnoBsh.jpg

Rations?..I think I've made enough posts on here for it not to be a puzzle..
lol-025.gif

6yq6d7Eh.jpg

My family say that I've been eating Rat Packs for so many years that instead of cremation or burial they're going to have me melted down and poured into 5 litres containers. I'll then be sold off as "full of preservative" for wooden fences...
lol-030.gif

Evenings/nights were chilly. Once the sun died it was without doubt Autumn.

FNH0vUJh.jpg

Rat pack porridge with fruit..Mmm! like breakfast at the Ritz..
eating-08.gif

rH0LokAh.jpg

Not a clear photo but in the absolute still of the first night there was a mighty cracking noise and the following morning I saw an Ash had fallen. No drama, close enough but on a nearby slope so not where I would camp. Following photos show it literally shattered on ground impact.

ZDVeHOzh.jpg

hmLHwKBh.jpg

NWD6Obhh.jpg

Off for a wander and that really is hanging deadwood. I pulled it down and it burned beautifully.

cEkny5kh.jpg

This Silver Birch will provide an interesting cut when it's time comes..

AnTWL0Hh.jpg

Fungi ladder...

nu9t7uMh.jpg

One of my kindling trees..

1wtFdZwh.jpg

Blurry Deer, just snapped them as they went up the hill.

YILAxMJh.jpg

Soon after Midday and the sun is low already although some parts of the wood still catch the light.

CflQlykh.jpg

cc6Gp1mh.jpg

And back to the hotel..

MKYHgGCh.jpg

And that's about it from me for some time. Planning/gear prep then I'm off for a longer wander abroad...well..sort of..

53o1Ijjh.jpg

Hasta la Vista.

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Great photos; thanks for sharing.
Could you give a bit more details about the woods? Not location obviously but whose they are, how you got permission etc.
I'm always fascinated how people find woodland to practise our chosen art!
Russ

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Russ, with a reported Forum membership of 30,000 plus and probably a great many non member readers my answer by necessity is going to be totally unhelpful to you.
The wood is within the boundary of a very large estate (one of a few) owned by a foreign gentleman who has bought ground to air systems from BAE (Defence) My contact was from when I was working for HM Government, not BAE..So it wasn't a question of just bowling up unannounced and knocking on the door to ask for permission, had I done so I may well have shot myself...
lol-030.gif
lol-030.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE