Nubuck leather working questions???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi guys and girls.

Has anyone ever made a sheath from nubuck leather? Is it even possible?

I have a fixed blade knife (Mark Hill) that I need to make a sheath for. Standard Veg Tan 3mm dyed black is my safe option (if I can work out what to make and how). But I've seen some Veg Tan Nubuck and wondered if that can be used to make a western style sheath?
If so anything special I should know?

Help!!!

Thanks in advance :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Im pretty sure nubuck whilst tough, is very thin and flexible so my first thoughts would be no it is no good for a fixed blade sheath as its just not thick enough to contain a sharp blade. you're better off with 3mm veg tan ;)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Should have said. The leather I've seen is stated as heavy weight nubuck 3.5mm

Same as what I would go for in std veg tan. But I have limited leather work experience and nubuck will show marks when working and I cannot wet form it I assume as it will effect the finish. Also how do you finish nubuck?

I like the idea buy I'm out of my depth

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Should have said. The leather I've seen is stated as heavy weight nubuck 3.5mm

Same as what I would go for in std veg tan. But I have limited leather work experience and nubuck will show marks when working and I cannot wet form it I assume as it will effect the finish. Also how do you finish nubuck?

I like the idea buy I'm out of my depth

Doesn't need to be wet formed, friction fits are better in my opinion anyway. Most suede brushes have a nubuck side and you can get dylon suede/nubuck dyes from timpsons. Go for it.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Doesn't need to be wet formed, friction fits are better in my opinion anyway. Most suede brushes have a nubuck side and you can get dylon suede/nubuck dyes from timpsons. Go for it.

Thanks all

Thanks Mountainm, I'm thinking bite the bullet, buy it and see what happens.

Just nervous of wasting money. Can I burnish the edges? Etc.

But if I try it then i'll find out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE