Northumberland jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all, i was in a pub in Alnwick,Northumberland last night and spied they were selling jerky behind the bar, so i bought a packet and it was rather good, The jerky i had was the Cajun hot, mmm nice and spicy.

Anyhow i saw they had web address so heres a link
http://www.britishbeefjerky.co.uk/

Thought it might be of some interest to some folk on here :rolleyes:

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I generally make my own jerk, but there are several places locally that make some pretty good stuff.

Maple Hill Meats is very good, but high at $17 for a half pound.

Lou's Fish sells jerk for $18 a pound, but the quality control is off. One time you get the best - next time - mediocre. They smoke their jerk locally.

The fish shop in the center of Two Harbors (can't think of the name) is the best. Excellent quality - for $16 a pound. Got to get there early in the day or it is all sold. They smoke their jerk locally.

A friend from Michigan brings very good jerk which he gets for $12 a pound, but that's a long way to go for jerk.

PG

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
stuart f said:
Hi all, i was in a pub in Alnwick,Northumberland last night and spied they were selling jerky behind the bar, .....:rolleyes:

Wasn't The Dirty Bottles, was it....Oh happy days (thinks back to a misspent youth :sadwavey: )

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
stovie said:
Wasn't The Dirty Bottles, was it....Oh happy days (thinks back to a misspent youth :sadwavey: )

Hi Stovie, i'm not sure about the Dirty Bottles, the pub i was in was called the Tanners,it's up the road to the right just as you go throught the arch on the high street before you get to the playhouse. Hope that makes sense.

By the way that jerky was good.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
stuart f said:
Hi Stovie, i'm not sure about the Dirty Bottles, the pub i was in was called the Tanners,it's up the road to the right just as you go throught the arch on the high street before you get to the playhouse. Hope that makes sense.

By the way that jerky was good.

The Tanners Arms. Used to be run by a very dour Yorkshireman when I drank there. They have a competition every year up that hill. A race carrying a sack of coal from the bottom to the top. Needles to say I didn't win ;)

The beer was good though...

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Looks good but pricey at £2.50 per 50g. That's as expensive as Harrods!

The best place for Biltong in the UK I've found is a butchers in Great Yarmouth. They have beef, uncut in big "Steaks" for really cheap. They even do Ostrich Biltong occasionally.

I must admit to just buying a big lump and treating it like a dog's chew toy. Not something you can get away with when married, mind....

Jan 25, 2006
Lancashire
I've been buying jerky online from Britishbeefjerky for the past few months and as far as Im concerned it is the best Ive ever had. Ive also noticed it doesnt have the nasty additives that the ones in Asda have. I tried Asda's and it was too rubbery I had to throw half of it away. :cool:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Somerfield sell jerky for £2,09p for 57g. It is nice and very taste, but a tad on the thin/small pieces. They do several flavours and always seem to have stock when I go there. Teriyaki, which is nice and spicy, and Traditional, very beefy.
They do other styles that I have yet to try.

Willowbark

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2005
Stroud, Gloucestershire
We make our own venison biltong. It's cheap and we know exactly what's in it and we can vary the seasoning to suit. How about a favorite biltong recipe thread? It would be good to see a few variations.

Willowbark

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Willowbark said:
We make our own venison biltong. It's cheap and we know exactly what's in it and we can vary the seasoning to suit. How about a favorite biltong recipe thread? It would be good to see a few variations.

Willowbark

Think I've posted this before, but here goes:

Smoked venison: Cut meat cross grain. This method drys the meat completely and a cut with the grain will have you chewing for hours. Can be store for up to five years in cotton sack. Smoke to dry with apple wood. No salt or anything else necessary. Fruitwoods impart excellent flavour.

In the oven: Dip in soy sauce, sprinkle with lemon pepper. Heat in oven for five hours on very low heat. Very simple recipe - excellent taste.

The only way I've made jerky that doesn't appeal to me is in a dehydrator.

PG

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well today I made some jerky

Asdas smart price steak, cut into strips, I divided it into three lots

plain
wocester sauce
dark soy

and dried in the oven set at lowest.

it tastes great!

Ill try some more spices next time

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
I use a dehydrator, bought it off a mushroom site years ago

http://www.mycologue.co.uk/

Makes great jerky.

Some beef, low fat (I use flank steak), cut in to stips/slices your happy with. Put in to ziploc style bags with soy sauce, teriyaki, chillies, maybe some garlic/onion powder, leave for 24 hours, throw in to dehydrator, cover in black pepper, let it run for 12+ hours. You can get it made way quicker but it goes more crunchy .

Tried turkey once, tasted of trukey fat, put me off trying again.

If anyone knows where to buy liquid smoke in the UK I would like to know, never found anywhere that has any stock.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
We were in a pub near Hever Castle last week and they were selling kudu biltong

Haven't tried it yet as they were also selling toffee covered almonds and I'm still trying to get all the bits of caramel broken tooth out of my mouth :eek:

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
on friday i followed a recipie for beef jerky i found on this site i think it was by an american guy, cut strips of frying steak marinated for 4 hours hours in soy bbq sauce and chillie sauce well the guy said to keep the temperature low so i did :)
took me 24 hours in an electic cooker to dry it to what he said was correct(cracks but dont break when bent) the stuff is stunning much better than that stuff you get in the booze isle in asda anyways :lmao: ill be taking it to work for the next week along with a big supply of toothpicks :D
cheers BCUK :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE