Northern Ireland Digital OS Maps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
The OSNI has finally made its digital maps available and they can be bought from Quo and Memory Map.

http://www.mapyx.com/index.asp?tn=productview&pid=1248
http://www.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/Memory_Map_Northern_Ireland.html#aMM_2dNI_2dDMS_2dOSNI50

I have bought the Quo version which looks good initially (but can't send maps to a mapping Garmin).

quo.jpg

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Apparently the government is in the process of expediting free access to OS digital data down to 1:10000. I hope it happens before the election.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Apparently the government is in the process of expediting free access to OS digital data down to 1:10000. I hope it happens before the election.

It does seem suitable that the Gov would allow access to maps of your own country for a nominal fee.

stevenout

Jun 4, 2009
Surbiton
The Government/OS is going through a consultation process to decide on access to OS data - the consultation goes on until March - no-one knows what this truly means yet. I doubt that the Government/OS will wish to lose millions in revenue, but we will see - I will not be holding my breath! Even if digital maps become partially free, no doubt there will be restrictions on use and mapping software uses its own file formats, so they are not easily interchangeable. No such thing as a free lunch!

Maps cannot be exported to a Garmin GPS device - routes and tracks plus data can be exported/imported. Garmin use their own map codes and OS has licensing restrictions that prevent the export of Maps.

Mapyx are also about to release 1:25k maps of NI as well as the 1:50k maps.

Hope this helps.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
The Government/OS is going through a consultation process to decide on access to OS data - the consultation goes on until March - no-one knows what this truly means yet. I doubt that the Government/OS will wish to lose millions in revenue, but we will see - I will not be holding my breath! Even if digital maps become partially free, no doubt there will be restrictions on use and mapping software uses its own file formats, so they are not easily interchangeable. No such thing as a free lunch!

Maps cannot be exported to a Garmin GPS device - routes and tracks plus data can be exported/imported. Garmin use their own map codes and OS has licensing restrictions that prevent the export of Maps.

Mapyx are also about to release 1:25k maps of NI as well as the 1:50k maps.

Hope this helps.

I can't wait for the 1:25,000 to come out (supposed to be this week), hope they're not too expensive. It's such a breath of fresh air to finally have digital maps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE