North of the wall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
In the winter of 2015 I was offered the use of a cottage that an old friend had recently purchased. I declined use of the cottage but obtained his permission to camp on his land which formed part of the owned plot. I posted on the forum at the time (under planning) and recently I travelled North to spend 6 nights camped at the cottage. Days were spent making basically circular exploratory walks from base camp into the quite remote countryside of the area. Nothing spectacular, about 10-12 miles a day, but the terrain can be testing of personal fitness.

The cottage in February..

9oypBn6l.jpg

And as I first saw it after driving from home on the South Coast a week or so ago.

2B2mxTGl.jpg

I really don't care for long journeys on four wheels, I much prefer my Motorcycle but a weeks supplies plus camping gear offered the prospect of this old codger trying to coax a heavy Moto Guzzi over some pretty rough tracks, so four wheels it was...

mg0lHUql.jpg

OK, look away now Bushcraft gourmets and wilderness Chefs...;)

CytB96hl.jpg

dRcZgfll.jpg

The cottage is isolated meaning a re-supply would be a logistics headache, so I took all I needed.

This promised to be a sheltered position out of a surprisingly (July) chill wind coming down off the surrounding hills.

iAM1nDPl.jpg

I had a nice view from camp and the neighbours were friendly and seemingly unafraid of the strange character who lived in the green tent.

zQxRh6wl.jpg

bjyXJoQl.jpg

F2MjD8Cl.jpg

For meals/brews I used a little wood gas stove which is handy and allowed me to burn either foraged wood or the fuel I use most with this stove...Pussy Cat litter..:D

hNxlxPml.jpg

OLAvVXsl.jpg

That small plastic jar holds enough fuel for 5 or 6 burnings, bearing in mind I don't make Bushcraft Souffles or knock up the occasional 5 course meal. I open the rat-pac packet, chuck it in the mess tin, wait for it to bubble a bit and that's done for me....
Ally mess tins too...I'm gonna die!!! :lmao:

Ig1LA0Ql.jpg

ZBTRoK4l.jpg

Back to the cat litter...this stuff..must be wood based obviously.

FCQGKrkl.jpg

I fill a plastic 1 litre milk bottle with cat litter and pour.. approximately..100 Mil of paraffin in on top. Give it a shake and leave it to absorb the Paraffin. This allows me to light the cat litter without tinder, simply put a match to it and you're in business. A bit of blackening shows on the cooker but is easily cleaned if you wish to, and the litter makes a convenient, transportable fuel in poor wood foraging conditions.

14ev9EIl.jpg

An idea of the surrounding countryside..

qrJepdvl.jpg

XcREZfHl.jpg

vtXHJnll.jpg

The sky in the last photo bears a mention. This is not an area where you can afford to get caught unprepared. Even in July the wind was chill at times and the rain quite sudden in coming down off the hills. This is not an area where hordes of walkers "Do" the tourist trail and Park Rangers have to repair eroded footpaths. There are way marks...Ha! but the "Way" isn't that obvious...;)

fUPfniel.jpg

This was one of the more obvious footpaths...

9dOwbVZl.jpg

azvG30Pl.jpg

The Magnetic variation is currently just less than 2 degrees West for the area so I allowed 2 degrees knowing that if I failed to apply it I could be 35 metres off my objective after one Kilometre. Not a problem, but after 10 K in poor visibility of say 150 metres??
There are places where it would be unwise to be lost in poor visibility..

CZKVw8Cl.jpg

The drop here is sheer from an almost flat area of marshy ground.

My days were spent just wandering really, a Bergan with all I needed if caught out overnight, work a course out on the map and off for the day.

LEA2QtYl.jpg

The very feint track left of centre? Follow that just over the hill and you're in Scotland..:D

LLxb6dil.jpg

Sheep country so I filtered all my water.

GuwmQpel.jpg

Some sights along the way..

fyHPoZ0l.jpg

Valley full of Foxgloves.

ECArzSZl.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing pure white Foxgloves in the wild before.

L3HSeYtl.jpg

Brew stop with Basha windbreak.

Lp0iSFLl.jpg

The old Sheep Folds are works of art..

kIFp1Ial.jpg

A Curlew getting upset because her nest was close by to where I was walking.

6g9xBKIl.jpg

Another bird at Mach 1 by the sound of it..:D

3vpJ4fIl.jpg

Blimey!! That's a big Rabbit!!!

SUOjEHrl.jpg

Ah! stand down on the Bunny sighting..

rBqaUcTl.jpg

And finally. In the barn some items from a bygone time. The smoothing Iron (left) is of the type that took a heated water container or sometimes I believe even a heated brick to heat the iron.

iRJ9zPel.jpg

A decorated head Halter? Perhaps from the big horse that once wore the shoe in the previous photo?

ShQN9kLl.jpg

Home now and looking forward to some time spent in a Southern wood, but I recommend to all a trip North of the wall.:)

Last edited:

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
that cat litter looks like interesting stuff, i like it.

will have to take a trip to the supplier and see how much it costs.
atb
steve

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Interesting tip with the cat litter! I´ve got to try that :)
It looks like you had a very nice trip, and even got nice photos to show for :D
Thanks for sharing!

By the way, the halter is quite new so I doubt that it was used on the horse that once wore that old shoe. Unless your farriers at some point fell off the evolutionary farrier-train :eek:

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
great trip and awesome pics amigo!
I'm loving the look of that old Bergan, the kettle, the stove and your entire set up...very cool!!!
Thats some pretty country you traveled thru and i sure do appreciate your taking the time to record and share your awesome adventure!:)...atb...woods

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE