North East South West.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

theknight

Hi Guys.

New to this site, so please forgive me if I ask so many question, but I am building my kit and my knowledge.

Now, my first question is something that has always stumped me!

When I am in the woods or just outside, how do I tell which way is North, East etc etc. I have heard about the big hand on the watch thing, but I have don't understand it.

So can anybody tell me how I can use nature to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

TK.

PS. Funny, I always know what direction a pub is in!!

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
In Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook, there's a small section on using the branch growth on trees to give a rough idea of direction, also shows how the seed heads on certain plants grow on the leeward side, so if you know the areas prevailing wind direction you could also use that as an indicator too.

At night if you can see them, the stars are good and easy to use as a reference

Mind you, if you are right under the canopy, it would probably be easier to just keep a small button compass in your pocket, then you could use it to confirm your natural indicators, or if all else fails, at least you'll be able to find your way out again. :-D

J

jatherton

Hi all - I sent this reply to theknight and he that I post it up. Hope it helps,

Following your question about directions. Finding the natural directions in a wood is a lot harder than outside as local environments can change the environment in such a way that it all gets really confusing.

The best methods I have always found of finding north, etc, are:

The moss on the sides of trees. This is better done in a more open area and you should look at a number of trees and get an estimate. The problem with this is that some mosses grow on the south and others grow on the north. If you go out with a compass you could do a little study yourself, nature is always the best teacher.

The rings on a cut tree supposedly grow tighter on the sunnier side (south). This of course is not very reliable in dense wood. And again, you'll have to get an average of a number of trees.

The analog clock method. I never really use it, that's coz i don't really understand it myself. I think - that it's something like this: On a 24hour clock (on second thoughts, maybe it's a 12 hour clock, i'm sure someone here knows!). You point the hour hand at the sun and the direction of 12o'clock is about north.

The best method that I have found is the sun stick. On a flat piece of grund stick a stick in. The stick need only be about 2foot tall. place a pebble on the highest point of the sticks shadow (the furthest point along the shadow on the floor from the base of the stick). then a couple of hours later place another pebble on the point of the new position of the end of the sticks shadow. imagine a line between bothe the pebbles, this is almost an exact East to West line. The first pebble is towards the west and the second is towards the east.

Certain types of ant will only ever have a nest on a particular side of a tree.

Other ways of finding things other than north are very numerous. I know just a handful and these are:

Bees and wasps are generally no more than 3miles from water and if they are flying straight without stopping they are usually flying from or to water.

When birds are flying from tree to tree and stopping often, they are sometimes full of water they have just drank a lot. The direction that they are flying from indicates the direction of a possible water source. The problem with this method is that birds flying low and stopping can also indicate that they have just eaten or even that the air pressure is changing and that a storm or change of weather is on it's way.

Most of these are only estimate so don't place your life on them. If you come across any others I would love to know.

Good Luck mate and keep in touch,

Joel :-D

PS
Also, the wind direction is usually from the east-west.

PPS
Most of these only work in the northern hemisphere. I hope you find them useful!

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
For the watch method, just hold the watch up horizontally and point the hour hand at the sun (if you can see it) then bisect the angle between the hour hand and the 12 mark and it should give you a rough north-south line.

J

jatherton

Thanks for that,

I knew I had something wrong with it.

Cheers,

Joel :lol:

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Don't forget - if you've adjusted your watch for BST then you need to bisect the angle between the hour hand (which is pointing at the sun) and ONE o'clock - not twelve!

Bob :-D

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
you guys got me thinking.....I wandered what items of kit I already carry could be adapted so I would always have something to fall back on when in trouble

I always carry the swedish (kelly kettle) stove which uses a cork to seal the water bottle, so have inserted a magnetized needle into the cork, can use it uses the kit itself, floaty floaty on muddy puddle and have an extra needle to boot for repairs/splinters etc

T

theknight

Wow!........Thanks guys!

A great deal of advice and tips there, I will be working on all of these and thanks to those who were kind enough to PM me with further tips........this site works!!

Thanks all.

TK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE