Nordic Ski Touring Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi folks,

I've just returned from Sweden where I was assisting in delivering Force Development Training to RAF personnel. The area we were working in is the Jamtland region and offers fantastic opportunities for this type of training. Although this a winter based event lots of the training is transferable to other environments hence the value of the activity.

After a couple of days shakedown the guys head out and spend a night in a snowhole, mountain hut & tent. Expedition equipment is shared between two and loaded into a pulk. Over the course of the next few days a journey of about 40 km is covered through remote mountainous terrain.

Initially it was quite mild and the snow cover patchy in places. Later the temperature dropped below freezing and we had heavy snowfalls. The last morning this combined with high winds leading to challenging blizzard conditions. Correspondingly the snowpack was quite icy at first but by the end of the expedition phase we had to break trail through about 30cm of fresh powder.

The Swedes were very welcoming & friendly if a little bemused about why we would want to camp out! Lots of the people of all ages ski from hut to hut - plenty of old school framed Bergan's still in use here!

My Paramo Aspira smock & salopettes combined with a wool baselayer & long johns worked extremely well in managing perspiration with sub zero temperatures & windchill.

Typical conditions

IMG_0525.jpg

Snow hole building - we weren't sure whether they would collapse hence the tents (also good for respite when not digging)

IMG_0528.jpg

Finished snow hole - not fantastic but not bad either. They took about 5 hrs to build but provide a good base once finished. The weather worsened during our night stay covering us in spindrift. Thank god for bivi bags!

IMG_0533.jpg

Skiing conditions improved with more snow

IMG_0539.jpg

Examples of Sami scrimshaw work on display at the Fjallstation

IMG_0545.jpg

The trails are well marked with wooden poles. There are also wind shelters about every 5 km - 10 km which are ideal for a lunch break (they usually have a 'long drop' and rubbish bins. These often have an emergency phone & small wood burning stove should you get caught out between the Fjallstations (larger staffed huts).

IMG_0548.jpg

Campsite & fire. Birch is pretty much the only tree at this height its very easy to collect the bark for fire lighting. My Mors Pot worked great with the camp stove as well as on the fire.

IMG_0564.jpg

Lots of fresh deep snow in this gully. The mountains are about 1200m in height and we went up an over several passes during the journey.

IMG_0558.jpg

More white stuff

IMG_0527.jpg

Wonderfully scenery looking down into the next valley

IMG_0557.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
My Paramo Aspira smock & salopettes combined with a wool baselayer & long johns worked extremely well in managing perspiration with sub zero temperatures & windchill.

Having tried most clothing systems in winter conditions, the Paramo/wool baselayer combo mentioned above is exactly what I use and recommend. I've used Goretex layering systems, wool based systems, ex military gear etc and I've found nothing that comes close to the Paramo Aspira for reliability and versatility in these conditions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE