Non-stick frying pans vs fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I just returned from my local outdoorshop (Bever - The Globe, familiar with most Dutchies), just to have a look around ... :rolleyes::D ;)

I'm in the market for a frying pan, so had a good look around. I like the Primus Litech ones, but couldn't find these in real life. Found the Trangia ones, which look good.

Noticed this one, Gourmet Frypan:
4609.nr307260.jpg

As you can see it's a non-stick version.

Question: if I use this pan on an open fire (non-stove use), would that create an impact on the non-stick coating? My first guess is that it wouldn't - it's made by Scandinavians, who use fires more than we can dream of ...

Asked the guy in the store, but of course he didn't knew the answer :11doh:

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I would guess its probably going to be ok, as I left mine on the kitchen hob (by accindent) at full blast with nothing in it for about half an hour without any ill effects.

So I would think it would survive normal usage on a fire.

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
There are questions over the safety of non-stick coatings like Teflon (PTFE).

The stability of the coating is said to be reduced at high temperatures. As you may not have as much control over the temperature on an open fire there may be more risk of this occurring.

I'd stay clear of this type of pan and use cast iron, stainless steel or enamel.

Cheers

Tom

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia

The stability of the coating is said to be reduced at high temperatures. As you may not have as much control over the temperature on an open fire there may be more risk of this occurring.

I'd stay clear of this type of pan and use cast iron, stainless steel or enamel.

Cheers

Tom

you get far higher temps on a gas hob than you do on an open fire, I don't see a problem.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got a cast,ribbed aluminium pan from tkmaxx, and this little beuty has a folding, wood and metal handle, cooks great on an open fire.

Rob

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Cheers

Tom

Any links to qualify this sweeping statement Tom?

Non stick is fine over a fire, lets be honest a Tefal Red Spot frying pan is a lot easier to use and keep clean than some cast iron jobbie and does the job just as well if not better.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Any links to qualify this sweeping statement Tom?.
I've heard something similar.. but a bit of digging turned up this :
2 Note: It has since been discovered that overheating of PTFE generates fumes of highly toxic perfluoroisobutylene (PFiB) which is seriously harmful to the human respiratory tract, causing pulmonary oedema and ultimately, death. PFiB is approximately ten times as toxic as the war gas, phosgene and hence has been investigated in its own right as a potential chemical weapon. So, don't let your Teflon-coated frying pan overheat! (In practice, there is so little PTFE on a non-stick pan that even if you left it on the heat and decomposition did occur, the resulting gases would be so dilute you wouldn't suffer ill-effects, assuming your kitchen is normally ventilated and bigger than a shoebox).

from the bottom of this page

I also remember being told about toolmakers suffering serious effects / dying as a result of smoking while milling/turning ptfe materials, when a fragment of PTFE landed on the hot end of the lit ciggy and as the smoker inhaled, the rise in temperature caused the PTFE to break down and get inhaled through the cigarette :eek:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"In practice, there is so little PTFE on a non-stick pan that even if you left it on the heat and decomposition did occur, the resulting gases would be so dilute you wouldn't suffer ill-effects, assuming your kitchen is normally ventilated and bigger than a shoebox"

Sums it up; use your non stick pan and don't worry about it; its like the nonsense saying if you use Aluminium pans you will go ga ga and bark at the moon:rolleyes:

I've got some cast iron cookware and le Creuset pans which are fine but won't take camping; I don't believe in making life harder than needed when relaxing away from home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE