1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

No wonder criminals get away with things

Discussion in 'Other Chatter' started by Tank, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Tank

Tank Full Member

Last night i realised i locked my car keys in my car. at 7pm i was stood on the street breaking into my own car with a coat hanger. about 3 people walked past me and 5 cars drove past. Not one person question what i was doing.

2. Nagual

Nagual Native

It's a sad reflection of modern life that there are two things going through peoples minds at times like that

1) If I say anything I'll get attacked

2) If I'm attacked and defend myself, the Police may charge me.

Sad, but true.

3. gregorach

gregorach Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Nah, there's only one thing going through people's minds: "Not my car. Why should I care?" That's why they don't even call the police.

4. the_k

the_k Member

Yeah, I think you are right there.

5. Kerne

Kerne Maker

Or:

Breaking into a car in full view of others? - poor chap must have locked himself out.

They could have offered to help though...

6. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Banned

If I saw someone built like a brick outhouse breaking into a car, I wouldn't challenge them either!

7. MSkiba

MSkiba Settler

long gone are the days when an old ladie will approach you, hit you with her handbag and tell you that "she knows your mother"

8. susi

susi Nomad

That's shocking Tank. I would have been tempted to say something to the passers by, along the lines of, "this happens to be my own car, hopefully if I was doing it to your car, someone would say something".

9. Shambling Shaman

Shambling Shaman Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Unfortunately I would have to agree, even if you did call the police by the time you had given all the details they ask for hat size inside leg etc.. a car thief would be long gone and your car a different colour with new plates before you hang up..

10. Tank

Tank Full Member

not at the speed i was going at lol.

still chuffed i managed to sort my own stupidity out. next learn to hotwire the car in case i lose the key lol. that or get a second pair cut.

11. resnikov

resnikov Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Thats not to hard, what is hard is getting the stearing lock off. Its a metal bolt and you cannot just force the lock like they do in the films. Well you can for a lot of American cars as thier stearing lock is plastic and snaps when forced. Your would have to drill it, which is a reall pain to do.

#11 resnikov, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  12. 3bears

3bears Settler

something similar happened to me a couple of years back, had to do the same, and then hammer and chisel the steering lock off, and then a keyless start, granted it was an old banger of a Citroen AX, but we were in the middle of town and covered by 4 CCTV cameras.... banging away with a lump hammer... lol North Wales police- they will only nab you if you're doing 32mph in a 20 zone! :p

13. Shambling Shaman

Shambling Shaman Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Was shown how to hot wire by a RAC man as we had lost are keys once and the spare did not work in the ignition (that was our old renault espace the fiber glass one)

14. Tank

Tank Full Member

i will just get some spare keys cut then :)

15. harrisp

harrisp Tenderfoot

I dont know about cars in the last 5 years or so but you can snap them on fairly modern cars and have done so myself although they can take a lot of force (on cars in scrapyards or cars goin for scrap) but a couple times ive done it and the splines between the steering colomn and steering wheel have rounded off (both corsas actually).

Just realised my first post on here has made me look like a car thief:bandit: :p.

16. resnikov

resnikov Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Ok so I was doing this on BMW 3 series, so maybe its just nicer and better well built cars then a corsa.

Hello and welcome car thief :p

17. harrisp

harrisp Tenderfoot

Its not hard to be better built than an old corsa, I should know Ive had two;) but even they take a lot of force.

Thankyou for the welcome.

18. MSkiba

MSkiba Settler

Long gone are the days of "snap and cap". Any pre 2000 car (or most) just force the wheel to either side and the steering lock will "snap" off, takes a lot of force but can be acheived if you use your feet too to get leavarage. You could use a barrel pull to sort your issues out with wiring too. But in todays morden cars its no longer a mechanical challage but a electrical one.

Try hotwiring an audi with its wires deep in the dash, as opposed to in the steering column.

19. Radix lecti

Radix lecti Native

I find the same in my job (locksmith) i can be on a main road with loads of people walking past me when im getting into a property with some unorthodox methods and not being challenged at all,only a handful of cases the Police have been called out, once when i had the keys to a property to change the locks !!

Darren

20. wanderingblade

wanderingblade Settler

Had to beak in to my van 3 times!

Realised the back door could be opened with a screwdriver so I fitted a nice solid hasp lock. Then promptly locked the keys in the back 3 times in as many weeks.

Going at the back of a van with a crow bar didn't so much as arouse a titter from passers by.