No Charred Cloth Flint & Steel Fire Lighting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for sharing, is that you? I made a video recently of myself using flint and steel successfully on an unprocessed raw cramp balls fungi, i keep checking Youtube but I haven't seen anyone else do that yet. I find charred materials and heavily processed tinders gives a false sense of security when it comes to using the flint and steel and there is no guarantee i will have charred materials on hand if i ever really need to use flint and steel (or heaven forbid two rocks) for making fire I want to be assured i have the skills needed so I like to practice using the flint and steel on unprocessed tinders

[video=youtube;-GOZ8wmHuSE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GOZ8wmHuSE[/video]

GGTBod. There is a tinder here that will take a spark without charring, & of course I can use gunpowder on tinder to start it smouldering without having to char it first. I also carry spare tinder in one of my empty gunpowder bags. I carry a pait of 17th century style reading spectacles so if it is a sunny day, that is another method I can use.
Have you tried using pieces of this fungus in a tinderbox & striking sparks onto it there? Worth trying I think.
Well done on the video.
Regards, Keith.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Yes it is a lot easier to do if you break it up and load a tinder box with it. I usually carry three methods of creating fire when i am out and about and various perfect tinders but like you said in your video these may not always be at hand or run out very quickly so i like to be sure i can make fire without them for the challenge, i've been trying similar variations when making fire with a bow drill, I find the bowdrill is a very easy task with my old bow and a seasoned spindle and hearth board but i like to practice with gathered materials which are not in perfect condition for the job because if i really need to do it in the wild the chances of finding and making a perfect bowdrill kit is highly unlikely, taking on the struggle is part of the skillset i want to be good at mastering within myself.

I just subbed your channel so i can work my way through your other vids when i am slightly more awake

cheers

Rob

Yes it is a lot easier to do if you break it up and load a tinder box with it. I usually carry three methods of creating fire when i am out and about and various perfect tinders but like you said in your video these may not always be at hand or run out very quickly so i like to be sure i can make fire without them for the challenge, i've been trying similar variations when making fire with a bow drill, I find the bowdrill is a very easy task with my old bow and a seasoned spindle and hearth board but i like to practice with gathered materials which are not in perfect condition for the job because if i really need to do it in the wild the chances of finding and making a perfect bowdrill kit is highly unlikely, taking on the struggle is part of the skillset i want to be good at mastering within myself.

I just subbed your channel so i can work my way through your other vids when i am slightly more awake

cheers

Rob

I subscribed to yours too Rob.
Regards, Keith.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Thankyou for sharing this Le Loup, I have been experimenting the last few days with natural tinders following your guide, I have found punk wood works very well just like you say, have also tried cattail as well and found the head worked by just holding it in the flame over fire then letting it smoulder all the way down to it's end until it stops smoking heavily (not sure if that's the correct way but it worked) the dead stalks only of cattail also worked quite well by splitting them in half lengthways then holding in the flame to char. By chance I came across another youtube video by a guy called Pembury Woods advocating the same method who credits you for showing him, he says it seemed the best punk wood seemed to be that which was whitest in colour and I found that to be the case too in my few limited experiments. I had not used this method before and am now a complete convert to this method over char cloth, like you say for long term sustainability you will eventually run out of cloth and won't want to start cutting up your clothes. Thanks for posting the video, I am going through your other videos on your channel about plant tinders etc etc.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
There are materials in nature which does not require charring.

Milkweed ovum which can be foraged and used immediately.

[video=youtube;bkJB83dwK7s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkJB83dwK7s[/video]

Chaga which can be used without extended drying if conditions allow.

[video=youtube;Zt-iLLYUoR8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt-iLLYUoR8[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE