Newbie needs help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Embarrasing as it is to say, I have no knowledge of bushcraft! :oops:

I live on the west coast of Norway and am 5 minutes from the sea and a forest area, There are most deffinately masses of resources here that could b tapped. I fish quite a lot, and got to thinking the other day about survival. It is not uncommon for boat motors to stop working etc, and If I were to land a\on a deserted island ( and belive me there are plenty of these around here) I probably wouldn't know what to do.

This is where you come in... I hope...

Is there a base pack that should follow on any trip, first aid kit goes automatically, but what else do I need and where do I learn what is good to eat. I have so many questions and think that there could be more that one post on this.... Anyone want to help.

Thanks

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
It sounds as though survival as well as bushcraft is your concern, and with that in mind I would recommend buying a copy of "Lofty" Wiseman's "SAS Survival Guide." Several editions are available, including a new one in a nice chunky paperback format and the excellent Gem pocket edition. You can probably profitably ignore any other book with "SAS" in the title, though.

This book has a list of recommended kit, sections on hazards and on edible and poisonous plants. As a single source I rank it as one of the very best. However, inevitably sections on things like wild food are bound to be rather general, making it very important to consult local sources for information. A library, school or bookshop near you will certainly be able to help with that.

Other essentials: At least two reliable means of lighting a fire (strike anywhere matches in a waterproof case are good, as is a Zippo or Bic lighter); a decent pocket knife; and if being stranded is your concern then look into a signalling mirror or other means of attracting attention.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Thanks!
The knife part I have sorted as I make them and we never go into the mountains or forest without one attatched to us somewhere!

The zippo lighter is also easy to get hold of.. The waterproof container isn't but I have heard that the non safety type match can be coated in candle wax... is this right....?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Dave.. you may not be aware of it... but you have already started. You are experienced in fishing... at least you could probably supply yourself with food if stranded by water.... so don't forget hooks & line etc in your kit. You will already know what type of line you need..... hook sizes you will use..... experience is the key...

Loftys book is excellent and has probably been read by most people here.

Hope you enjoy your new hobby... be careful, its very addictive :-D

Ed

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Yes, you can coat matches in candle wax. Just scrape most of it off before striking. It actually helps the match to burn, too.

Waterproof match holders are quite easily contrived if you cannot find one to buy. Two empty shotgun cartridges of different gauges slide neatly one inside the other, and then you can secure the pack with waterproof tape. Trimming the matchsticks a little shorter should allow them to fit inside 35mm film canisters. Or, cheapest of all, double bag in small Zip-Loc bags and be careful about storage. I bought an excellent brass case from Cabela's in America. Most camping and army surplus shops carry slightly less robust but still effective match cases, although whether it'd be cost-effective to have them shipped to you I couldn't say. Chandlers and camping shops also generally carry lifeboat matches, which I find a bit prone to breaking but they certainly burn in all weathers.

Hope that's of some help.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'd go along with Ed. Experience and practice. Fire will be a primary concern/need and it's worthwhile practicing gathering materials in all conditions and at night and practice getting a fire going in the worst weather possible. It's quite hard to get a fire going when it's peeing down and blowing a hoolie and your morale is low, but a fire will boost morale and is amazingly comforting making things seem not so bad. You could start learning your plants. This takes time and patience and a couple a day or so will soon have you with a basic knowledge. Good luck and remember don't be in any hurry, the skills take years to learn and are so satisfying when you've got them

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Ed said:
Dave.. you may not be aware of it... but you have already started. You are experienced in fishing... at least you could probably supply yourself with food if stranded by water.... so don't forget hooks & line etc in your kit. You will already know what type of line you need..... hook sizes you will use..... experience is the key...

Loftys book is excellent and has probably been read by most people here.

Hope you enjoy your new hobby... be careful, its very addictive :-D

Ed

That's what I was thinking of: You already started with bringing you knife, knowing how to fish an most important: taking action on gaining knowledge about survival and bushcraft. the most important thing to bring next to your knife and firekit is your common sense. I mean when you are stranded you'll have plenty of time to think, think again and then act. instead of panicing and doing stuff hasty without thinking.
must say: great you are thinking about this stuff! goodluck.

p.s. also one thing that is nice to have in your kit when stranded is some sweets that have allmost no expiring date. it will boost your morale.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Dave
The uninhabited islands to which you refer may have no drinking water available I would sugest a plentiful supply, refreshed on a regular basis. Also consider means of desalination not an area I can help you with but somebody will. Additionaly means of comunications ie. cell phone (spawn of satan) or VHF radio. Large orange survival blanket for signaling these can be seen from a long way off, shelter you may be able to use your upturned boat but if not a GOOD two man tent there aint much shetler from the wind on them thare islands. As already stated by others you must be able to start a fire but fuel may be an issue, availability or wet wood, take a gas burner stove and spare canisters. Sufficent food for 3-5 days? each days ration packed seperatly or military 24 hour ration packs. Ensure that these are secured in a dry bag that in its self will be bouyant, dont include water or the whole issue will sink like a stone. Dry clothes and sleeping bag etc. pack seperatly.
Tell sombody when you expect to be back and the area that you are fishing in, and take oars for that boat much more reliable than an outboard. Oh tie everything down using quick release knots or carabiners as I once watched my dry bag float out of the canoe that I was paddling!
It would aslo be usefull to purposly spend a few days on one of these isalnds to fine tune the pack that eventualy decide to take.
Enjoy you fishing.
Pothunter.

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It does make me smile when a thread is brought back from the dead :D While Dave might well be more experienced in bushcraft by now he is currently on holiday so might not respond for a while ;)

Someone is bought to find this thread interesting though :)

Tiffers

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dave,

First off buy get one of your own knives - top stuff. The necker is going great guns, I was going to do a mni review but having problems gettting a camera. ** not a plug, just really like latest toy.

After that, kind of go out and play - you've read the basic ideas here and else where just experiment in the garden and build it up. Most important thing is to make sure you can get a hot brew when you want it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE