New Year's Resolution?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Well someone had to ask!

Have you resolved to do something in 2018?

My resolution is to teach my grandchildren how make fire without matches. First, however, I have to relearn how to do it myself .I'm ashamed to say I haven't used a bow and drill since I was a teenager. I'm never without at least three means of making fire in my EDC and this has made me lazy.

I'd love to know what resolutions others have made: it may give me ideas for more self-improvement!

Reactions: Toddy

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Need to try and get out more often.

Always plenty of notion during the week, full of plans for weekends and holidays, and then the time comes and i cant be bothered going out the house. Only to regret wasting the time and start planning for the next weekend. And repeat..

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Smoke less I'm down to about 3 a day but could do better maybe even stop! and get down and hike the moor's again, and slim my kit down I buy with my heart too much, and get myself sorted for a trip state side I miss the land there but don't think this year I could do it but maybe Scotland instead it looks so bleak and beautiful.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Try and change jobs / career. Got no idea how to do this since I've been in a 15 year rut.

Exercise more and in a more varied way. Try and do weights at home to add to my cycling. Try to get healthier whatever that means.

Possibly move house and replace the car with a campervan or van to convert. Possibly.

Then break almost every resolution when I realise I am being too ambitious.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I just aim to end the year with more knowledge and skills than when it started. Part of this involves a lot of recording and self reflection which I can be very bad at so maybe I'll resolve to improve that... again. I'm going through my photos and records for the year now. It's a nice way to spend the last few hours of the year.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Oh I have trouble looking back. What is done is done, move on is my attitude. You learn in the present. Or at least I do. As I'm messing up I learn from it.

Reviewing my year would drive me to boredom. At some point in the future I'll think of something I did this year but it's not a review just a memory. Plus it would stop me doing something else.

We're all different so I guess there's no ideal way.

Resolutions are about future IMHO. They're about what you want to do in the future. Reviewing the past, for me, wouldn't inform the future wishlist.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I work away from home in the Oil and Gas industry, 3 weeks on 1 week off.

As a bit of a hillwalking nut, I have resolved to scale a Munro on every week off throughout the year, no excuses.

Photos and trip reports to follow.

All the best for 2018,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Mine is to clear my UFO pile.
My unfinished stuff is becoming ridiculous :oops:

I would also like a good walk at least once a week....if I manage it, then photos will follow :D

M

UFO? I've got a mental image of you running a Scottish Area 51 now. :alien2:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You haven't seen my workshop :redface2:
I share it with Himself, and he's into computers and IT and electronicky things, while I haven't met a handcraft (tatting aside) that I don't like :)

Right now he's got a (can't mind the word, makes 3D stuff) printer thing going, and I'm trying to sort out the fabrics to finish a quilt.

It's an interesting place to chill out :D

M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Mine is to clear my UFO pile.
My unfinished stuff is becoming ridiculous :oops:

Mary, you of all people ought to know the unwritten rule of unfinished projects...

For every one taken from the uncompleted pile and then completed 2 more take its place on the pile :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE