new sleeping bag advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
hi wonder if anyone has any opinions on this sleeping bag for £95 including postage

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ca...s/everest-down-sleeping-bag-p2758.aspx?cl=RED

my reason behind a new bag is

A) it has to be warm for winter as i sleep quite cold, now im the grand old age of 32 not like in the old days when i was a young'en :lmao:
B) it has to be light and pack small

my max budget is £100 and thats pushing it !!

its either this one or a snugpak but all feedback welcome as this will be a big out lay for me so want to get it right

cheers andy

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
While in Ripon the other week I called in at mountain warehouse for some kids boots. Hun7er from this fold was there. He says they are a cracking bag for the money, I was sorely tempted at the time, but was under orders not to buy any more bags.
Apparently the design and supplier has changed from last years but are as good if not better.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
cheers for the price i cant see me getting a down bag with that rating for under £100 so i think a visit to a local mountain warehouse will be in order to have a look.
i saw the review rich when i googled the bag but theres very little info anywhere else so that i would ask here.i just dont want to buy a duffer as freezing to death in winter wont make a very good out and about report lol

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I always take the comfort ratings with a pinch of salt, somewhere in the middle of the high and low is usually about right in my experience.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Or try this cheaper still and one degree lower on the extreme range end its a four season not a 3/4 so is built for colder end of bivviying out.
http://www.millets.co.uk/camping/sl...2/down-500-sleeping-bag.html?attribute=628528

I use one and at the ripe old age of 57, I am a very cold sleeper. Used it in some very low temps in the Chilterns in the winter and have managed to fry my self on warm spring. Given its price you will still be able to get a linner and have the price for a pint after on your budget.:)

Sandsnakes

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I always take the comfort ratings with a pinch of salt, somewhere in the middle of the high and low is usually about right in my experience.

+ 1
Yep, the temp. ratings are based on a young man of average build in good health & full stomach, sleeping in a tent, on a good quality mat, wearing thermal underwear so if you don't fall into that category the ratings should just be considered as a rough guide & not a guarantee. Women should take away 5°C from the the stated ratings when choosing a bag as the poor dears feel the cold more due to their fat distrubution & less efficient blood circulation.

The season ratings can be misleading too, some 3 season bags can be warmer than others claiming to be 4/5 season & the type of camping you practice should be taken into consideration as well, what may be toasty in a tent could be ruddy freezing when used in a hammock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE