New sheath for Pukko (& a spoon...)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
This is the great little Pukko I got in trade from Longstrider recently. It came without a sheath so I kept a little bit of leather for it. Since it's a Finnish knife I decided to try my hand at the wood & leather type of sheath. The wood is from an old bit of Lime I never got around to carving. Not sure what I'll do as regards belt loop yet, to be honest I rarely have a knife on my belt, it's usually in my bag with the carving tools.

Talking of which, the runes around the top of the sheath are Old English for "Carve"

Oh yeah, and the spoon? Well, that's the first one I've made that actually resembles a proper spoon :) it's from a bit of found wood, possibly Hazel, that I picked up in Salcey Forest.

Image0312.jpg by r.wolf1970, on Flickr

Image0309.jpg by r.wolf1970, on Flickr

Image0311.jpg by r.wolf1970, on Flickr

Last edited:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thats a nice knife but I would say the sheath is a bit short well made though

As for a belt loop look at this tut for how attache belt loop

The spoon is interesting.

Last edited:

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I did plan it longer but TBH I prefer to have more handle available when trying to get it out of the sheath. Trust me, it ain't gonna fall out :p it's a good tight fit, there's a solid click to it when it goes in and the finger groove holds it nicely

Biker

I think I have one of those knives too, got it in the gift-it-on thread. Looks like your sheath is a vast improvement over the original. I'm working on a leather and wood sheath for another knife of mine (one of the many projects I butterfly about on) seeing your results has spurred me on to finish it... sometime.

Love that spoon. My pile of shavings and chippings are ever growing and once the spoon I've made is looked at with a critical eye the spoon is added to the pile of chippings. Just can't seem to get the results I'm aiming for.

Anyway really classy workmanship there, and I mean really classy. Thanks for sharing.

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks guys :) Hey Biker, you should've seen my first spoons! Canal barges with handles :p absolutely terrible they were. As for the wooden sheath, been looking at the rehandling thread and thinking "why didn't I do it like that?" One piece just slightly thicker than the blade with the blade profile cut out laminated between 2 outer pieces, would've been so much easier than rebating both sides of the lime :)

Biker

Thanks guys :) Hey Biker, you should've seen my first spoons! Canal barges with handles :p absolutely terrible they were. As for the wooden sheath, been looking at the rehandling thread and thinking "why didn't I do it like that?" One piece just slightly thicker than the blade with the blade profile cut out laminated between 2 outer pieces, would've been so much easier than rebating both sides of the lime :)

Well at least your spoons looked like something other than mine did which was a whittled branch that looked as though it'd been run over by a Sherman tank, twice!

Know what you mean about the wooden sheath, that's how I've done mine just as you've described seeing after you'd housed your blade into each "scale". Story of my life that, seeing a better alternative after the fact. Which is why I spend so much time online doing research ... well I call it research, some would call it wasting time at various websites/forums cos' it's such fun. :lmao:

I'm a bit like a kid on firework night going "oooh" and "ahhh" when I see something really well made... like your spoon and sheath.

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
thats fantastic mate, that is one sheath i have not yet had a go at, the wood leather combination, i think it looks grand, you have executed it perfectly mate.
and the spoon is a little cracker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE