New matchbox

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Little project because my old matchbox was falling apart.
The black stuff is rubber strips in there for rainy days.

2013-07-14 13.11.36.jpg

Knife for scale. It's a very slim altoids tin so it works good for pocket carry. I'm thinking about doing a similar one for fishing kit.
2013-07-14 13.12.22.jpg

Inspired by a post on woodtrekker. Can't say I remember which one though...:bluThinki

Last edited:

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
As im diabetic, i use the canisters that my blood testing strips come in, like a camera film container but these are air tight and watertight. Swan vestas fit perfectly in em. I usually throw em away but im gonna start savig them up. I only use 1 a month so itll take a while but i wouldnt mind betting some of the members here can use them.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's nice Niels, good call on the innertube rubber, surefire way to get a blaze going.

(Is that sandpaper in the lid? I know it's a one in a million chance but the friction caused by say you running with it in your pocket could ignite the matches against it.) I believe Swan had to withdraw this advert way back because there was a few cases of matches going up in folks hands as they shook the box.

[video=youtube;sAA48RZvFhM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAA48RZvFhM&list=UUCOL Ffq6-IzfpTnOF5tBDRw[/video]

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
(Is that sandpaper in the lid? I know it's a one in a million chance but the friction caused by say you running with it in your pocket could ignite the matches against it.) I believe Swan had to withdraw this advert way back because there was a few cases of matches going up in folks hands as they shook the box.

It's the striking material that was on the strike everywhere matchbox. Hadn't really thought about that one. I'll put some more matches in so they're tighter. And the head doesn't lay against the striking material anyway. So I hope they won't combust spontaneously.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's the striking material that was on the strike everywhere matchbox. Hadn't really thought about that one. I'll put some more matches in so they're tighter. And the head doesn't lay against the striking material anyway. So I hope they won't combust spontaneously.

Another way to help is to wax dip the match heads in candle wax. Also keeps the heads from getting damp and helps with the burn as the wax catches. Also a sheet of waxed or greaseproof paper between the matches again helps with things like raindrops getting in and is a wee bit of extra tinder.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Another way to help is to wax dip the match heads in candle wax. Also keeps the heads from getting damp and helps with the burn as the wax catches. Also a sheet of waxed or greaseproof paper between the matches again helps with things like raindrops getting in and is a wee bit of extra tinder.

Good stuff, I'll experiment with that. Thanks:)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Very nice. Always handy to fing little tins and make a use for them.

I use a small (1oz) tabacco tin for flint and steel and tinder as the rubber inner seal keeps it reasonably water tight.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
That's nice Niels, good call on the innertube rubber, surefire way to get a blaze going.

[video=youtube;sAA48RZvFhM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAA48RZvFhM&list=UUCOL Ffq6-IzfpTnOF5tBDRw[/video]

I so remember that advert like it was yesterday :) in fact it has brought back memories of both my Dad and Grandad sitting there rattling their swan vesta packs when it came on - thanks very much for posting it, and apologies to OP for going slightly off topic :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE