New Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I fancies meself a new hammock, I enjoyed it previously but used an inexpensive one that lasted approximately 3 hangs before it came apart. So I thought I'd upgrade to a decent set up with a decent build quality that will last a good while. So what do you hardcore hangers recommend for a year round use.

Oh and I'am a fair sized heavy ole lump, 6 feet tall broad shoulders, chest and about 245lbs.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
First you have to decide weather you are prepared to order something from overseas where hammock camping started and is really growing, or do you want it cost effective and local. You can have a top of the range stuff from US, look at warbonnet, dream hammock, dutchware ger, jacks are better etc, but it will take time and cost a lot of money after including taxes.

If you wan't it reasonable and don't need a work of art for £200+ than in UK there are 3 options:
DD hammocks - solid, traditional and reasonably priced stuff, but heavy and not the most comfortable.
UKHammocks - cottage company that is copying ideas from US so an alternative to ordering from abroad, especially if you want down quilts.
EasyHammock - we have started not that long ago with a new idea of everything integrated in to one package, some more details here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146428

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

I've had one, I think a few on here have tried them. It wasn't for me, it was too unlike hammocking and more like a suspended bed. If you're over 6', the main complaint is it's not long enough. I also found it a bit awkward to enter and exit, if the ground is wet, so will the bottom of your sleeping bag be unless you take a mat.

There's also the added cost of an Exped mat to give it support.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
As already mentioned, the Hennessey hammocks are well worth a look and a few of my mates use them. You'll probably need to budget £150-200 for one but keep in mind that they're a complete system with the tarp included.

Personally, I use a standard Woodsman hammock (no bug net) that was made by Mat at UKHammocks.co.uk. He's come in for some flack recently owing to some problems with some orders but I (and many many others) have been very happy with the service and the products. My hammock is 3yrs old now, well used and still looking the same as when I first got it.

Another UK based business to consider is bespokeultralight. I've no experience with his gear but the hammocks look great, are reasonably priced and I've heard lots of good things about them on here and youtube.

This won't go down to well with some folk on here, but....I'm not a huge fan of the DD Hammocks. The tarps are great, but I think the hammocks are typically too short and too narrow to offer a comfortable flat lay. Admittedly, I've never owned one, but everyone I know that has had one (and that's quite a few!), went on to upgrade to a Hennessey hammock. I think that kind of speaks volumes. I don't mean that to be derogatory against DD Hammocks as they're considerably cheaper than most of the competition. But if you can afford it, look elsewhere.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks again for the replies, advice and your opinions gents, always appreciated 🙂👍🏻

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE