New axe or old axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
*UPDATED* 15 Sep!

I was thinking about this the other night after a day out in an orchard...

Should I buy a new axe or just use the old ones I have laying around?

Seeing all the lovely shaped and styled axes on the market and looking at my old and quite tatty axes I was considering buying a new fine edged beared style axe (simular to the GB range) when an idea popped into my head.. 'why not make these axes better?'.

Now of the two axes nearby one was my oldest axe, a cheapo 1.5lb hand axe and the other was a rusty semi beat up 'kent pattern' hatchet I was given a while back.

Having tried to 're-shape' the profile of the hand axe in the past and not really getting anywhere I had a good look at the size, thickness and shape of the 'kent pattern' hatchet and I could see it working better to my needs if I were to cut away a few parts of the blade.

Out with my marker and quickly a much more desirable design had shown itself in the face of the old tool.

Something like this.. (I flipped the head as the shape worked better that way).

DSC00378.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

Equiped with an angle grinder (instead of a hacksaw like the last few projects) I got the old head off the haft and started work cutting it to the new shape, removing the hammered steel burs and taking some weight off.

After a short while the shape was starting to come to life and with a carefull hand it was nearly done, all that was left was a bit of light work on the bench grinder (and maybe some more light hand file work tomorrow) it was pretty much finished! :)

I haven't put the final cutting edge on it yet and untill I can either re-shape/clean up the old handle or cut a new one form some timber it won't be 'complete' but for the sake of a picture or two I stuffed the old handle back on so you guys can get the idea of what it'll look like.

And that is a light weight, fine edged bearded axe.. without having to buy a new one! (and making sure to recycle old stuff ;) )

Ta Da!

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

I hope you enjoyed checking out my 'new-old axe' ;)

Maybe you guys will try something simular and post it up!

*update*

After a little bit of tinkering with the old handle I think it will do nicely untill I can get some timber to make a longer handle in the coming weeks.

All I used for the handle reshaping was my opinel no*7 and a little sheet of some sand paper I had laying around.

I basically gave the handle abit of lypo as it was too thick for its length (imo) by cutting the thicker parts down by a third or so and cutting out the belly/bends to try and make it straighter. After that I gave it a good rub down to smooth the rougher parts and to remove the coating on the wood.

It didn't take long and was very fun and theraputic like all wood work is.

I had to adjust the head end to fit the new head and stuffed in a good wooden wedge to keep it nice and snug!

Finally a wee coating of raw linseed oil by hand to keep it preserved, I think it looks pretty cool now and hopefully after a few more coats of linseed oil it'll be ready for proper use.

here it is with its 'new old' handle ;) (before a light oiling!)

ab42.jpg

ab4.jpg

and a little darker with a coat of oil..

DSC00382.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

hope you enjoyed the progress and pictures! maybe I'll do some more to fancy it up if I can find time in the next few days ;D

*update*

Had a go at making an axe handle today from some timber I had laying around. It's nothing special just some 2x4 pine that I thought would be good to practice on :D

So I took out me pencil and rough drew the straight styled handle I wanted and got started cutting/chipping away!

Very good fun indeed! and once I got far enough to my pencil lines I took out my mora 510 and got to carving its final shape out.

So here are the pictures from start to end..

nah1.jpg

nah2.jpg

nah3.jpg

nah4.jpg

nah5.jpg

Now I won't be using this handle as it's a bit too soft (being pine) but it was deffinatly worth doing as I now have an idea on what shape I will go for and how to do it when I get hold of some harder wood to make one from.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I kinda like the shape you have made; nice before as well though ;I genuinelywould not have done what you did.
But my main question would be does it do the job? which of course is obviously the point of it all
Is it OK to start cutting stiff with an angle grinder?-I genuinely don't know about that
I got a nice wee cheap hatchet/hawk in Portugal of a similar shape but its really too light for real use so as usual the Wetterlings or in the real world one of my knives and Bahco saw wins a place in my pack. Do you carry an axe when camping ?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
No I don't usualy take an axe with me due to the inaficiant cutting abilities of the ones I own. Sometimes a machete for light stuff or a saw for the rest.

I fancied an axe that could cut better and that wasn't designed for splitting wood like my others.

I'd like to fit either a longer straighter handle simular to a tomahawk or a short one that'll make carving and shaping wood easier.

Axes like the one I cut up can be found for about £4 so it's really not a costly problem if it doesn't perform like I want it to (haven't finished or used it yet).

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Angle grinders, like any tool, have their hazards. With a thin (~1mm) cutting disc they'll cut through thick steel very quickly but generate less heat than a thicker disc that might last longer. I'd wager you'd use a couple of discs cutting up an axe like that

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I used one disc and it's still got life in it. Did it bit by bit as to not let it generate too much heat.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Looks great Samon - and good recycling too! It's all too easy to just go out and buy something; Anyone can do that - all you need is cash, but you've taken the harder path, learnt some new skills and have ended up with a unique axe which you can be proud of.
Can't wait to see the new handle.

Thanks for posting it, Magentus

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
May aswell go the whole hog and get a wire brush or some wet and dry on that head and make it all shiny :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks great Samon - and good recycling too! It's all too easy to just go out and buy something; Anyone can do that - all you need is cash, but you've taken the harder path, learnt some new skills and have ended up with a unique axe which you can be proud of.
Can't wait to see the new handle.

Thanks for posting it, Magentus

Ah thankyou :) I was trying to make use of what I already had instead of just getting something new (that I couldn't really afford) and I had alot of fun doing it.

May aswell go the whole hog and get a wire brush or some wet and dry on that head and make it all shiny :)

I was gona do that but I quite like the 'rustic' look and tbh it's quite dented/pitted so getting it all shiny might look a bit odd..

But I will consider it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE