Never lend someone your axe!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Never lend someone your axe, or to be precise do not leave your axe in the tool cupboard where some passing member of the building trade may decide to borrow it to chop up some concrete slabs.

I do not like the Gransfors Small Forest Axe, I find it too small for serious wood processing and too large for splitting small rounds.

I have owned two. One was the first 'proper?' axe I ever bought, the other was given to me by Woodlore on one of their Camp Craft courses. Anyone who has ever attended a Woodlore Camp Craft Course will know that each attendee is given an SFA at the beginning of the week and over the next seven days the attendee spends hours sanding down the handle with wire wool and applying an oil treatment to make it incredibly smooth and comfortable to use.

When I came back from that course I gave my 'free' axe to my sister, she has a lot of wood stoves, is a wee woman and seemed to enjoy using the axe to prep kindling etc.

I live abroad and only occasionally get home, on my last visit in June I thought I'd prep some large oak rounds for the coming winter, for this I used my Scandinavian Felling Axe, after three or four hours of that I had some lunch and thought I'd top up the kindling baskets in the various rooms. I went to the tool cupboard and this is what I found…

The first thing I noticed was a big chunk taken out of the haft.
P5300003.JPG

I then noticed that the haft was broken.
P5300006.JPG

I then noticed the damage to the poll where someone has obviously been using it to hammer something.
P5300007.JPG

And more.
P5300008.JPG

And the bit has taken a few hits too,
P5300009.JPG

Not pictured here is the Axe mask which he/they had managed to slit when sheathing the axe.

So my sister had had a few trades in while her new extension was being built, she has no idea which of them was responsible, which is possibly a good thing.

I meant to post this back in June but I couldn't look at the pics without getting a little on edge.

Anyway, I have found a deserving home for this poor tool in warthog1981, hopefully he will restore it and document the process on this forum.

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
So disrespectful..

If I ever lend something out, I always give them the verbal contract of 'you break it, you buy it!'

It will clean up just fine, but what Muppet beats on someones axe like that? Every contractor in the know uses a beat up cheap axe or masonry chisel to break bricks and slabs. Not a darn tool like that! Gah.. Some people!

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I dont think its a lack of respect, more a lack of understanding what is of value to might not be of value to someone else... my axe is a tool but it is a 7 pound felling axe that is now on its second haft in 20 years. ( I lent it to my son) yes I will lend it to him again.... just hoping he is more careful next time. :-(

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Ouch and a few words that I can't on the forum it's been butchered :(
But it will be transformed and I'll post a thread on the process.
I'm looking forward to the task :)

cheer Russ

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thats awful..... :(. Better you don't know who it is!! Only trouble could come from knowing who!

On a more critical note, i can see where the handle broke, it looks like a prime example of the handle grain running the wrong way. Better it broke on them than on yourself, with the risk of injury a breakage can cause.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's terrible! Ooh I'd be sincerely miffed- as you must have been. It's just wrong on all accounts, taking without permission, destroying it and not saying anything. I'd have flipped had I been there.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That would cause me real and severe pain, and it would stay with me for a very long time; unpardonable!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How a tradesman would dare to use (let alone abuse) the possession of a client without permission amazes me. If I caught a tradesman doing that, they would be fired on the spot - no second chances.

As an axe - it can be brought back, and I'm sure Russ will do that.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ouch!

Looks like maybe the haft has been broken, when its been used as a hammer?

I've taken to putting about 20 layers of duct tape under the head of my limbing axe, which protects it when snedding a tree.

Last edited:

Haggis

Nomad
It is wondrous what someone can do to an axe in a very short time. I have cheap axes I lend to those who do not have axes of their own, for if they do not have axes of their own, they are sure to misuse them. Of course, if a thief "borrowed" one of my good axes and misused it in such a manner as the one in the photos, I'd keep the old helve, just in case I bumped into the "borrower" at some future time.

Pawprints

May 29, 2013
Sheffield
Poor poor axe! Glad it will get a new lease of life!

I recommend protecting the haft of axes with leather, it wont stop a brainless ogre of a tradesman, but it does help from those chunks and dints from general wear and tear. The ideas is that the leather is a sacrificial part to be replaced.

See below one I put on our bearded axe my daughter uses, please don't judge me by the colour of the decore, that was her chosen fashion statement to match the knife she made, under supervision of course.
The leather also acts as a firm handle for holding high up in this position when carving with the axe.

20140807_121128_zps4bfd2156.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140807_121212_zpsd60ea953.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In sympathy for the poor axe and considering it is getting a makeover by Warthog1981 I pledge to make a leather haft protector for it so it's new lease of life will hopefully be a long and uneventful one. Warthog1981 please PM me so we can discuss what carved design and colour scheme you want.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE