Nelson Mandela

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
RIP

Pretty mad that the UK premiere of his biopic is tonight too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A long life; but what a life.
It would be the best possible legacy to have his country be a thriving nation, and a hope of that for all the others.

RIP Mr Mandela.

Toddy

Sorry Gents, I was almost the victim of 3 of his Limpet Mines in Johannesburg back in the 80's for me he is nothing short of a terrorist..just like Gerry Adams and anyone living through their reign of bombing terror will know what I am saying....good riddance to him.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I suspect that criticism will count as 'politics' whilst praise will not.

On those grounds, I shall keep my opinions to myself whilst the world goes off an a Diana-esque frenzy of weeping, tooth-gnashing and wild praise untrammelled by reason.

Rest in peace Mr Mandela

Always sad when a piece of living history stops being living history and just becomes history.

As for the above two comments these are your opinions gentlemen and valid as are the expressions of memorial.
It must be different for folks who have lived through such times for me at 31 its all history and thus doesn't hold the same emotional impact as those who saw it first hand

(Mod hat on here-lets not get into arguments/political bashing and such like in this thread BCUK doesnt do political arguments as we are all aware there are plenty of places on the Internet that can be used to discuss that aspect of things)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Sorry Gents, I was almost the victim of 3 of his Limpet Mines in Johannesburg back in the 80's for me he is nothing short of a terrorist..just like Gerry Adams and anyone living through their reign of bombing terror will know what I am saying....good riddance to him.

He must have been a genius, to have planted limpet mines whilst in prison.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Man of Tanith has spoken and abiding by the rules I will not get into a debate about this..suffice to say it was his orginisation that carried on the armed struggle...just like Gerry Adams never physically planted a single bomb during the troubles.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Nothing particularly against him, I just feel uncomfortable with the image of him as a cross between Gandhi (the popular view of Gandhi, anyway), Schweitzer, and the Angel Gabriel a bit silly. I prefer my public figures to be looked at in the round rather than their positive aspects praised to the skies and their less edifying acts and characteristics denied. I find it a function of our society's rather naive world-view, in which everyone has to be either an unredeemed villain or an unspotted hero.

No doubt one for the historians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE