1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Need a mug to fit Trangia Triangle

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Chatter' started by Darryl of Sussex, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Darryl of Sussex

Hi,
    I have just been given a Trangia Triangle meths ‘stove’ but my mug is too small to sit on the stand. I can’t find one to fit it. I’m boiling water in a mug for short trips, so I don’t need to carry a kettle. Any suggestions?

thanks.

2. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

Hi Darryl, I’m not sure the diameter you need, but I have a couple of lidded mugs. One is a 450ml Alpkit titanium, the other might be better for you, a Lixada 750ml titanium. I got my 750ml from AliExpress for about £8 but they’re on the Bay for about £12. Sorry to eBay link, but here you go.

With your heating method titanium would be a good idea due to its conductivity, the lip will cool much quicker than steel. The Lixada has a bail so is easy to pick up straight off the heat. The lid is pretty hopeless to be honest, same with the Alpkit, they just slide off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lixada-7...hash=item1a76811590:m:mAcs6sAgzYuGAuFqITYWTQg

#2 Nice65, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Darryl of Sussex likes this.
  3. firedfromthecircus

firedfromthecircus Tenderfoot

I've posted this before but it might help you out if it means you don't need to buy a bigger mug. I use an Alpkit Ti mug on mine.

Make a triangle that fits over the three upstanding pot supports from metal rod and it allows you to use smaller sized pots. I use an Alpkit Ti mug on mine. I made it from an arc welding rod after I cracked the flux off!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly A somewhat settled

If your mug is too small to sit on the lugs, simply put two metal tent pegs across the top.

Darryl of Sussex, Janne and Kepis like this.
  5. Hodge

Hodge Tenderfoot

Another solution is to use a metal grill from a computer fan. Maplins sell them for less than £3. The slots in the grill fit over the lugs on the triangle.

6. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

Ah yeah, there are workarounds. But there’s also a great pleasure to be had by researching a new bit of kit to fit another new bit of kit. :)

7. Jared

Jared Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Preferably stainless, and not a chromed one.

8. Darryl of Sussex

Thanks to all for thoughtful replies. Interesting to consider all the workarounds and yes, i’m a sucker for new kit. I’m going to try out all of the suggestions and see which best works for me.
    Pegs are more versatile, fan cover more specific. In my head,that’s a relatively small dilemma to consider.
    I’ll be back with results soon.
    Best wishes for 2020,

darryl

9. Barney Rubble

As per above, I just cut down a couple of tent pegs and that's your problem solved. if you cut them down then you can also just pop them into the little trangia pouch for safe keeping!