Nato watch strap query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've had two NATO watch straps as replacement to what came with my Casio diver's watch. I like them because they are robust and comfortable.

However, I think I am missing a trick or two because I don't understand what the double strap and three metal rings are for. Although I have worked out how to use them in a way that suits me, I can't help thinking that I am not using it properly and there could be a better way. Are there functions i am missing?

Any advice or comments welcome and a pointer to a relevant YouTube video even more so!

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Fasten your watch in the normal manner and thread the end through the two loops. The you double it back over the first and tuck it into the second. Alternatively push it through the first loop and then push a bight through the second leaving the end to be tucked back into the first.

You can have the end showing or inside itself. Here are some ;links which show it better than I can describe it.

http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/2009/12/how-to-wear-a-g10nato-watch-strap/

https://www.natozulu.com/content/9-nato-strap-instructions

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f365/how-install-adjust-nato-style-strap-287242.html

At least that's how I have worn them since 1995 when I got my first one issued to me.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thank you. I was doing it right all along, but at least I now know I got it right and can stop wondering. It would seem that the design just is more complicated that it has to be.

Part of the design is so that should you pop a springbar out, one will still support the watch preventing loss.

Reactions: wingstoo

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I'm not sure that original watches had spring bars. I seem to remember they were all a solid bar.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
No, they all had spring bars.
The last issued watched with solid bars were the German Beobachter Uhren ( Navigators watches). Not all though, some of the ALS made ones had spring bars.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Spring bars have two functions, ease of strap replacement plus it protects your wrist from getting damaged in case you catch the watch.
It will give before the strap breaks, and before your wrist breaks.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Both US ( Hamilton) and the various UK ( made in UK and Switzerland) have springbars. I do not own any US or UK issued watches after 1945.
The German issued wrist watches have spring bars. All issued between 1939 and 1944. Made in Germany and Switzerland
The Czechoslovakian pilots watch, Longines, made in -38, has fixed bars.

Of my Luftwaffe navigator’s watches, all except the Lange has fixed bars.

As you understand, I collect watches. My more interesting sub collection is mil pil watches 1914 - 1946.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm not sure that original watches had spring bars. I seem to remember they were all a solid bar.

I've no idea on genuine military watches, my old Seiko Military and a couple of Lorus Lumibrites have springbars. They're sure to be a later invention for changing straps or removing links compared with the way the NATO straps were designed to work.

Extra strap is so that the watch can be worn over the top of a NBC sleeve that would be considerably thicker than the wrist.

I've often wondered about the long tails on the straps, thanks. :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No, spring bars are quite early, late 1920’s or so.
NATO straps are what, late 1950’s?

The WW2 era US isdued watches had canvas straps, looking like normsl leather straps.

The only similar system to the NATO strap was used by the Germans on their B-uhren.
I imagine the NATO strap evolved from those.

They were made from cotton fabric lined leather though, and long enough for the time piece to be worn outside the very thick winter flight overall Luftwaffe used.

( those watches are 55mm in diameter, crown excluded)

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Both US ( Hamilton) and the various UK ( made in UK and Switzerland) have springbars. I do not own any US or UK issued watches after 1945.
The German issued wrist watches have spring bars. All issued between 1939 and 1944. Made in Germany and Switzerland
The Czechoslovakian pilots watch, Longines, made in -38, has fixed bars.

Of my Luftwaffe navigator’s watches, all except the Lange has fixed bars.

As you understand, I collect watches. My more interesting sub collection is mil pil watches 1914 - 1946.

Collecting watches suggests you have plenty of spare time!

Reactions: Janne

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
My 1997 issued CWC G10 has solid ‘spring’ bars and so have all the others I’ve seen, not sure on current issue stuff.

My issued Seiko chrono (gen.2) also had solid bars.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE