N.E.Scotland meet ( Glen Tanar)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Ok thanks to the kind folks up at Glen Tanar allowing us to hold our meet up there we can now get names down, lessons sorted etc.

First off same rules apply as last time.

under are some rules (Pinched from drew as they are a good guide wtih my own bits added) that I would ask you all to follow.

This list isn't exhaustive - common sense applies. If in doubt, Ask!

•Forum members are responsible for themselves, the kit they use and their own actions at the Meet – if you bring along family (or a friend) then you also accept responsibility for them and their actions whilst they are on site.

•Rubbish: you brought it in, you put it in the bag – I will bring some bags along and if we can leave the site better than when we got there it will leave a good impresion and we will more likely to be asked back.

•Responsible drinking of alcohol is ok – drugs are prohibited!

•‘Appropriate’ behaviour: The site can, at any time, decline a booking – they can also ask(tell) us (individually or wholly) to leave during the Meet.

•Fires: are NOT to be left unattended, If you take a turn in watching the group fire or make your own and have to leave it please ask sombody to watch it for you (we are in the woods after all)

•Nobody is to go cutting down any live tree ( please ask if you are unsure)

•Food: you need to bring enough food and water to feed yourself while you are at the Meet.

•Accidents do happen and people will try to help out where they can however bringing your own First aid kit is important.

•If you are visiting someone else’s pitch do not expect to be fed.

•Use the appropriate tools at the appropriate times.

•It would be wise to be carrying a torch before it gets dark! It could also be provident to put markers on your shelter so you can find it in the dark.

•The pitch is suitable for using tents, hammocks and bivvies - use what you have and are comfortable using. There is still ample room to bring/use one type and trial/experiment with another. ( TBC ate the recce)

•If you stick your name down and can no longer make it, please say so. It really helps me keep track of things.

•Please note that, on occassion, the first post will be edited to include better information. Although updates/edits will be posted in the thread, the first post needs to be re-read well in advance of the Meet

•In the highly unlikely event that I need to make use of this ... I reserve the right to stop any individual(s) from attending a Meet. Any individual(s) who I feel endanger our future use of the site will be required to leave the site.

• Please do not leave knives, axes unsheathed/ lying around.

The 'Touchy Subject' bit:
The only people we can't accommodate are those who would, purposely or otherwise, do harm to others. Primarily, this means that if you would be found unfit to adopt or foster a child then you can’t come along – same goes for anyone knowingly under investigation or having had an allegation made against them and is awaiting investigation.

It's fine if you want to:
•be on your own
•lay on your back looking at the sky, clouds, birds flying over etc
•whittle
•practice 'stuff' - except tree felling; the site has strong opinions about that
•practice flora and fauna i.d
•so on and so forth ...

This is, in no way, a bushcraft course and it's for you to make of it what you will.

(Thanks for the guide Drew)

So its really basic common sense. If you cant/wont stick to these rules then please do not come.Also anybody breaking these rules will be asked to leave

Glad thats over with,

many thanks

Craig

Ok lessons planned so far include:

Rope making.
Rope double twist, plaited, whipping.
skinning ( If anybody has a problem with this please let me know).
Slings (I can show you all how to make them on site if i can get enough leather together).
Char cloth.
Camp cooking ( Again it will depend on where we are and what type of soil is there).
Fat into tallow to make a fat lamp.
Birch Bark oil (if we can get enough bark either there or people bringing some with them)
Lye from ash ( If we can get enough hardwood to burn)
raised bed ( Time depending)
Wild food
knots

If anybody can think of anything they would like to try in particular please say so we can sort it out. Also if anybody has something they are willing teach the group it would be appreciated.

All/some of the rules and lessons planned may be changed depending on how the meet with the ranger goes and this page will be ammended accordingly so keep checking.

Dates: Ok the best dates that I think we will get is Fri 27th- Sun 29th April. Now I will be asking the ranger if we can extend that by 2 days so it may be Wed 25th- Sun 29th April.

Again like last time can you put down your name and confirm asap as I will need to know the final head count at least a week before the meet. [h=6][/h]Also if anybody has any questions or needs help with anything PM me.

Copy and paste the names list please.

CBJ + 3 confirmed

Last edited:
Sounds good, I am in.

The birch bark oil should be easy to do, just need the bark for it. I may have some local dead birch that I can scavange from.

I can also go over the needle making and then the net making.
We may as well make a table at the camp, easy to setup and easy to demonstrate.

For the slings I will look out some leather scraps as well and bring them along.

I am sure there are a few other things we can try.

CBJ + 3 confirmed
Pandabean + 1 - Need to sort days off.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Yeah the net making was great last time mate and im sure those who never made it would love to see it being done
kudos for bringing some leather.

CBJ + 3 confirmed
Charles Lockerbie

•Food: you need to bring enough food and water to feed yourself while you are at the Meet.

Just need to change this rule to.......Chocolate snacks should be brought to feed everyone else.....and Craig will provide all the food.;)Just kidding by the way, but snacks are welcome. :)

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
rofl: with the amount of haggis we had last time we could feed the entire bushcraft community.

But I will no doubt be bringing some of the better halfs snacks :)

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen

Just need to change this rule to.......Chocolate snacks should be brought to feed everyone else.....and Craig will provide all the food.;)Just kidding by the way, but snacks are welcome. :)
There should be more for everyone else as i dont eat snacks anymore.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I would absolutley love to come along, since I missed the last one :(

Unfortunatley I can't plan things very far in advance as I lead a bit of a fluid lifestyle, well where weekends are concerned anyway. I will put my status down for a 'provisional' coming a long if thats ok...

ritch

Jan 14, 2012
Peterhead
Hi craig thanks for posting me the link.

Myself and Ron are interested i would say our sister but she doesnt leave the house willingly either way what you got planned looks pretty interesting.
I had a look at your tutorials/lessons planned but no where did i see splicing is that part of the rope making?

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
CBJ + 3 confirmed
Charles Lockerbie
KiltedPict
Bronskimac - Chris

Something I would like to learn is a few knots. Happy to come along with knots or not.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
CBJ + 3 confirmed
Charles Lockerbie
KiltedPict
Bronskimac - Chris
Nickliv, Mrs and mini nicklivs permitting.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
CBJ + 3 confirmed
Charles Lockerbie
KiltedPict
Bronskimac - Chris

Adze, (on a similar basis to Nickliv above)

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
CBJ + 3 confirmed
Charles Lockerbie
KiltedPict
Bronskimac - Chris

Adze, (on a similar basis to Nickliv above)
Chance (ditto to the TBC)​

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE