Mystery axe help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've found a little axe whilst clearing out an old workshop. Does anyone have any idea what sort of axe it is and who made it?

I've given it a light clean up and can't see any makers marks. It looks like a small rescue / firemans axe but not like any I've seen. The checkering on the handle seems fairly unique, I wonder if it was done by the owner but it looks very well done. The head is just over 6" long and the handle 15". There's a metal cap on the base of the handle.

mystery_axe.jpg

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I would say fireman's axe too, with a broken/cut down spike poss trying to make a hammer?

Checkering looks very much like that of a rifle and I'd be very surprised if it was factory

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Maybe a British proto bush crafter did what many of you guys do?
Checkering looks pro, but those skills were common in the old days ( before WW2 or so)
Most gunsmiths did checkering.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm not convinced the spike has been broken off as it's a very neat end and the shape doesn't quite curve like a spike.

When I've looked at pictures of similar firemans axes they mostly seem to have makers marks and the edge of the axe is curved whereas the one I've found has a straight edge.

Just wondering if it is something different, although it could have been heavily modded.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
That is of the same pattern as an Auxiliary Fire Service axe, used for rescue, dates from around the 1940’s - handles weren’t checkered originally so I would say that’s been done later, re-handled for some reason.

Google ‘ww2 arp axe’ or ‘auxiliary fire service axe’ and look at google images

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks for the ideas. I'm still not sure it is a modded axe though as the cap / pommel on the base of the handle looks specifically made so appears to be part of the axe. I've not seen any examples with a pommel so I'm still looking. Perhaps it was made as one off/

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I'm not convinced the spike has been broken off as it's a very neat end and the shape doesn't quite curve like a spike.

When I've looked at pictures of similar firemans axes they mostly seem to have makers marks and the edge of the axe is curved whereas the one I've found has a straight edge.

Just wondering if it is something different, although it could have been heavily modded.
Mine was the same as yours, but with a broken handle and full rear spike, had it for years, reworked it as a tomahawk and now it's with my brother.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE