MYOG Lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
On a recent trip I decided I'd like a lantern to use in the tent/hammock/shelter etc, just something to read by and to provide a little bit of softish light for around camp or in the tent on an evening.

After a quick browse online I came across a thread on BPL and a lantern a guy called John Taylorson had come up with, I liked the look of it so decided to make my own. I sourced some material and after a couple of attempts came up with this:

photo.jpg

It's quite difficult to take a photograph showing the light it gives off but you get the idea. The stitching isn't the neatest as I found the thin material quite difficult to work with, pleased with the end result though.

Matt

Last edited:

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Forgot to mention, I've plenty of material left and a couple of the LED lights spare so if anyone fancies one of these drop me a pm

Matt

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
So it's an led light inside a material bag? Cool.

I use those on my car keys. Great wee torches.

Andy

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Yeah it's nice and simple, just a small material pouch with draw cord, LED light, and a mitten hook.

The material I used is parachute ripstop nylon, according to the seller it's intended use was for military parachutes but it wasn't quite up to spec so it's being sold off pretty cheaply

Matt

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Yeah it's nice and simple, just a small material pouch with draw cord, LED light, and a mitten hook.

The material I used is parachute ripstop nylon, according to the seller it's intended use was for military parachutes but it wasn't quite up to spec so it's being sold off pretty cheaply

Matt

That's cool mate cheers for posting!
Andy

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Thought i'd update here as I seem to have received a few questions re this recently

The fabric I used came from the bay, it was sold as parachute material 2nds I think. The mitten hooks came from Zpacks in the US, I added some to an order for something else as I thought they might come in handy sometime but they're widely available from most fabric suppliers etc

I did send some fabric on to a member on here and also a complete lantern to another member so hopefully they're getting some use out of their own lanterns now.

The fabric is a little fiddly to work with as it's so lightweight but after a couple of practice runs I got the hang of it, i've not much experience of hand sewing but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. I made about 10 of these in one go just because I had the materials etc, the first one is still going strong though so the rest are unused as yet!

I'd be interested to see alternatives others have come up with

All the best,

Matt

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have used mine a few times now Matt and its a cracking bit.of kit. I bought an optician screwdriver to put on my keyring and can now change the batteries when they get low. Id recommend to anyone

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Thought i'd update here as I seem to have received a few questions re this recently

The fabric I used came from the bay, it was sold as parachute material 2nds I think. The mitten hooks came from Zpacks in the US, I added some to an order for something else as I thought they might come in handy sometime but they're widely available from most fabric suppliers etc

I did send some fabric on to a member on here and also a complete lantern to another member so hopefully they're getting some use out of their own lanterns now.

The fabric is a little fiddly to work with as it's so lightweight but after a couple of practice runs I got the hang of it, i've not much experience of hand sewing but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. I made about 10 of these in one go just because I had the materials etc, the first one is still going strong though so the rest are unused as yet!

I'd be interested to see alternatives others have come up with

All the best,

Matt

I'd be interested in buying one of those mate.

Cheers
Andy

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I have used mine a few times now Matt and its a cracking bit.of kit. I bought an optician screwdriver to put on my keyring and can now change the batteries when they get low. Id recommend to anyone

Glad to hear it's getting some use and that you're pleased with it. I'd be interested to hear how much life you get out of it, I estimate I've used mine for approx 4-5 hours so far and it's still going strong.

I'd be interested in buying one of those mate.

Cheers
Andy

Are you planning on selling these off mate?

I'd love to sell a few of these but I think it might go against some rules on here which is why I haven't offered any for sale so far. I think i'd need to upgrade to maker first?

Your version is uberlight-as they say these days-but I found this heavier duty flexible PVC drybag version and use it in the same circumstances. The soft area lighting these bag provide is excellent.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Mammut-Ambient-Light-Dry-Bag.html

Mammut-Ambient-Light-Dry-Bag.jpg

Came across these myself recently, they look really good! Have you got any pics of one in use?

Hi all

It's not rocket science but I made a tutorial based on John Taylorson's idea (with permission!) here if it helps anyone:

http://handicraftsaremyheritage.blogspot.co.uk/

Great aren't they Matt?? :)

Brilliant little tutorial there, great stuff! And yeah, for something so simple which weighs practically nothing it's a great little piece of kit!

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE