MYOG Bathtub Floor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Had the afternoon free yesterday so decided to get on with another MYOG project.

I've got a Trailstar on order and wanted some kind of floor to use inside it. I've got a bivy (also on order...) and a polycryo sheet that i'll probably use most of the time but wanted a bathtub style floor to use as an alternative, plus I figured it could also be used under the tarp I made recently and inside the Laser Comp, if I ever wanted to use it without the inner.

After having a look online I decided I'd have a go at making my own, all the necessary bits and bobs were gathered and have been sat on my desk for the last 2 weeks waiting to be used. Yesterday I finally got on with things and here is the end result.

IMG_0627.jpg

It's the first time i've made anything out of Silnylon and it lived up to its reputation of being very slippery to work with! Although it was a lot easier to handle/sew than i'd imagined it would be. The supports within the corners were made from 6mm nylon rod from ebay, and the Lineloc 3 adjusters were threaded on to some grosgrain which was then sewed to the material. I think all in it probably took around 3.5-4 hours.

It's approx 220x80cm with a depth of 10cm, so there's room for a full length sleeping mat etc. I've got some material left so I may make another as whilst stitching the 3rd corner on this one I came up with a neater/easier way to sew them. Quite pleased with how they turned out though

IMG_0623.jpg

Packs down nice and small too

IMG_0617.jpg

And pretty light

photo.jpg

It'll go smaller than this if you squeeze all the air out, not far off the same size as the can, just have to wait for the Trailstar to arrive now...

Matt

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 12

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's superb mate, i've been looking at making something pretty much identical to that for while now, just need to get round to sourcing some fabric. how well do the long sides stand up, do you find there's a great deal of sag at all or are you managing to get a reasonable amount of tension along the folded seam between the two corner uprights? also, rather than the guyline tie outs at the corners do you think a triangle of fabric with a pegging point on the end would do the same kind of job, or do you think that'd make it difficult to get the tension necessary along the long sides?

stuart

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
that's superb mate, i've been looking at making something pretty much identical to that for while now, just need to get round to sourcing some fabric. how well do the long sides stand up, do you find there's a great deal of sag at all or are you managing to get a reasonable amount of tension along the folded seam between the two corner uprights? also, rather than the guyline tie outs at the corners do you think a triangle of fabric with a pegging point on the end would do the same kind of job, or do you think that'd make it difficult to get the tension necessary along the long sides?

stuart

The tension is pretty good to be honest, there's a little bit of sag on the longer sides but with the the linelocs on the corners it could be tensioned further to tighten it up a bit more. I think the triangle of fabric corners could potentially work, I've seen one online that uses something similar to what you've described. I was originally going to do something like that but had these linelocs to hand so figured I may as well use them, plus it allows some adjustability to the tension. With the triangle corners pegged out i'd imagine it may sag a little more, especially if the material isn't spot on in terms of the lengths of each edge, if this turned out to be the case there'd be no way to tighten it up. The one I've seen online looked to work a treat though.

Great work Matt. You are becoming a sewing god :)

Not quite sure about that but Thank you! I'm definitely finding things a little easier the more projects I make

Liking that Matt :bigok:

Looks a treat and the perfect colour, well done!

Thank you, I found the black material quite hard to work with to be honest. With the previous ripstop i've used it was easy to see the patern in the fabric and use this as a guide for sewing or cutting, this proved quite difficult with the black silnylon, happy with the end result though!

Looks every bit as good as my Oooktub Matt, nicely done mate

Wow! massive compliment thank you. The Oooktub was one of the ones I looked at before making this one

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm looking at this again and just had an idea :thinkerg:.

A couple of strips of polyester Whaleboning the same length as the height of the sides, stitched vertically along each side and then seam sealed would keep the edges up well. It keeps its shape, is light and could be stuffed into the stuff sack without any permanent deformity.
Its worked a treat to keep my homemade fur ruff in shape and has recovered every time after being stuffed.

It can be sewn through, as its multiple filaments of stiff plastic in a grid.

Apologies Matt on trying to mod your kit before you've even used it :lmao:

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm looking at this again and just had an idea :thinkerg:.

A couple of strips of polyester Whaleboning the same length as the height of the sides, stitched vertically along each side and then seam sealed would keep the edges up well. It keeps its shape, is light and could be stuffed into the stuff sack without any permanent deformity.
Its worked a treat to keep my homemade fur ruff in shape and has recovered every time after being stuffed.

It can be sewn through, as its multiple filaments of stiff plastic in a grid.

Apologies Matt on trying to mod your kit before you've even used it :lmao:

No need to apologise! I've just had a similar thought myself and been out in the garden to re-pitch it and have a think. I'm thinking of sewing a short length of elastic horizontally in the middle of the longer sides, along the top edge. With a small fold in the fabric in the middle of the elastic. The elastic would then take up any slack in the longer sides without having to really tighten up the end points, plus there'd be a bit of give in it.

Terrible description but think it'll work

Matt

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
After a re-pitch I don't think the elastic is necessary as the tension is pretty good as is so I'll leave it be for now.

...rather than the guyline tie outs at the corners do you think a triangle of fabric with a pegging point on the end would do the same kind of job, or do you think that'd make it difficult to get the tension necessary along the long sides?

stuart

The elastic mod would solve the problem of saggy sides though so maybe something to keep in mind if you do use the above method for securing the corners and it needs a bit more tension.

I don't usually bother replying to a thread just to say this but for yours I'll make an exception...that looks really well made. Congrats. goodjob

Thanks a lot, it's appreciated

Very very nice work there mate.

Many thanks, really pleased with how it's turned out

Matt

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....I'm thinking of sewing a short length of elastic horizontally in the middle of the longer sides, along the top edge. With a small fold in the fabric in the middle of the elastic. The elastic would then take up any slack in the longer sides without having to really tighten up the end points, plus there'd be a bit of give in it.

Terrible description but think it'll work....

when i was mentally planning this project i thought about getting some really thin shock cord to include in the seams along the long sides, going all the way from end to end, maybe 6" or so shorter than the side so that when the thing's pegged out it'd put the shock cord and therefore the sides under a bit of tension, it'd add a little bit of weight i suppose but other than that i don't really see there being a downside. i've just found an old tent that i might be able to salvage some fabric from so this could well be tonight's project, watch this space.......

stuart

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
...i might be able to salvage some fabric from so this could well be tonight's project, watch this space.......

stuart

I'd be interested to see how you get on Stuart

I had just enough of the Silnylon left so I figured I'd make a second one. Due to the size of fabric I had left this one is a little narrower and a little shallower than the original.

IMG_0633.jpg

I did the corners in a slightly different way and added a couple of strips of elastic along the long edges to help tighten it up a little.

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

Seems to stand up pretty well, think it would have been better if I could have made it a little deeper but hey ho

Matt

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....i've just found an old tent that i might be able to salvage some fabric from so this could well be tonight's project, watch this space.......

I'd be interested to see how you get on Stuart.....

Bit of a fail in all honesty, I spent hours unpicking seams and zips on a 8 berth tent the other night, the largest single panel that I got from it was approx. 2X4', useless for the purpose intended. I did however get a couple of really good zips, one of which I fitted to a British army issue gore-tex bivi bag last night. A few finishing touches to tidy it up and I'll post some pics to show what I came up with. Also loads and loads of PU nylon from the tent to make stuff sacks from, so the sewing machine's getting a good work out if nothing else. :)

I may end up resorting to buying some silnylon for the bathtub :yikes:

Cheers,

Stuart

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
At least you managed to get a few usable bits for all your hard work. I got my Silnylon from ebay, I think the seller was the same person that runs Bearpaw Wilderness Designs, It was the cheapest I could find

Just made a stuff sack for the second floor, packs down nice and small:

floor.jpg

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE