My traditional kit: canvas and leather!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
here it is, a Boone kit that I use now, very comfortable and light enough for me weighing in at around 12 odd kilos and a bit more with food.

frost river isle royale with the kit inside:

imagejpg1_zps7a32c6cc.jpg

Bilmo canvas tarp and frost river accessory pouch with cordage inside:

imagejpg2_zpsd78ee987.jpg

Hudson's Bay 6 point blanket and frost river bedroll straps (Gransfors Small forest axe for scale):

imagejpg1_zps60bf94b1.jpg

imagejpg3_zps32fd0468.jpg

Fjallraven Ovik blanket, G100, for a ground cover, backed with thin wool, very useful:

imagejpg2_zpsb66b23ac.jpg

cutting tools, Gransfors small forest axe, Gary Mills Timberwolf, woodlore buck saw, Laplander saw, Kellam fixed blade pocket knife, Buffalo river Damascus ranger knife:

imagejpg3_zpsef4af994.jpg

Mors pot, MSR Titan kettle, Tamarack titanium mug, MSR mugmate for coffee (all nests together):

imagejpg2_zps3ae22130.jpg

Hudson's bay copper tinder box and pouch:

imagejpg1_zpsfebeb1f1.jpg

Silva compass and home made antler ranger beads, LMF army oak firesteel, write in the rain notepad:

imagejpg1_zps25a011b1.jpg

frost river accessory pouch, Bilbank bag, hobo hand line, dc4 sharpening stone, titanium spork, Deerhunter torch with red, green and white lights, brass whistle and home made repair kit:

imagejpg3_zps63718c0f.jpg

UCO brass cancel lantern and home made beaver fur pouch:

imagejpg1_zps523ceb71.jpg

klean Kanteen 64oz, Lifeventure 32oz, juniper kuksa:

imagejpg2_zpsb4c7fae0.jpg

here are the clothes I wear when I am out

Pinewood Lyon cotton flannel shirt:

imagejpg3_zps9d8de94d.jpg

Bison Bushcraft moleskin trousers and Shark designs leather belt:

imagejpg1_zps69404c11.jpg

bison Bushcraft shirt:

imagejpg2_zps39fbffee.jpg

Lundhags Forest boot, Aclima merino wool hunter socks, Bison Bushcraft wool socks, cotton hiking sock:

imagejpg3_zps85bd633e.jpg

handline upclose shots:

imagejpg2_zps3ec86fa4.jpg

imagejpg3_zps6370cbc6.jpg

imagejpg1_zps7f9257b6.jpg

from A.finlay primitive crafts, hides a lot more tackle inside, one of my favourite bits of kit!

few other random shots:

imagejpg3_zpsff1b2cf0.jpg

imagejpg2_zps4ee95ddc.jpg

imagejpg1_zps55cf451c.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsc2e064ee.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsfe773e82.jpg

I've dug out some group shots of some kit off a while backs, so it's in different shape etc now but here they are

imagejpg1_zps4b363ecb.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsf61e060f.jpg

imagejpg3_zps9a219ab4.jpg

hope you enjoyed that, jus thought id throw some photos up :).
I think I will just keep,posting rNdom pictures & kit updates in this thread too :).

Last edited:

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
very nice, whats the quality on the frost river like? Id love one but cant justify the spends for " just another canvas rucsack".

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
lovely kit Cam.
I like the belt pouch for the tinderbox.

Cheers mate :)

It's a very well made pouch and sits well, I do like it and it's a pouch I've not seen elsewhere in the UK.

Just a question:

Do people in general find traditional kit to be a more sensory experience?

I know I do, it's interesting to me to use it as well :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
very nice, whats the quality on the frost river like? Id love one but cant justify the spends for " just another canvas rucsack".

It's unbelievably good mate, it's the best made pack I've ever see or used and it's going to last more than a lifetime! I I'd a review on it a while back as well, straps are riveted and sewn, double thickness bottom of the pack, canvas is 18oz waxed (sorry if I waffle ;) ) it's very good mate :).

Just a question:

for me its aesthetically pleasing as well as proven and robust kit.
it all adds to the experience for me personally.
prefer bundling up in blankets to a sleeping bag.
using a flint n steel for the fire etc etc

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
for me its aesthetically pleasing as well as proven and robust kit.
it all adds to the experience for me personally.
prefer bundling up in blankets to a sleeping bag.
using a flint n steel for the fire etc etc

I think you and me are the same on that one mate, it's my favourite type of gear all round :).

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Cheers mate :)

It's a very well made pouch and sits well, I do like it and it's a pouch I've not seen elsewhere in the UK.

Just a question:

Id agree with you about the sensory experience, the tactile pleasure of the tinderbox, the feel of the hand forged striker, the smooth but sharp flint, the smell of the waxed canvas on a hot day, the creak of the leather, the thick soft wool is far more inviting than smooth chilly synthetics, a bic lighter and a cordura and plastic pack. (although I do own a lot of modern kit I tend to not use ot as much as the trad stuff.)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Id agree with you about the sensory experience, the tactile pleasure of the tinderbox, the feel of the hand forged striker, the smooth but sharp flint, the smell of the waxed canvas on a hot day, the creak of the leather, the thick soft wool is far more inviting than smooth chilly synthetics, a bic lighter and a cordura and plastic pack. (although I do own a lot of modern kit I tend to not use ot as much as the trad stuff.)

All of that's my thinking mate!

I've got synthetic bags, bivvys, while set ups etc, but I've sidelined them really, some get used now and then but for the most part it's canvas and traditional all the way! :)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Well I don't really have much kit along traditional lines like that, but I get where people are coming from with the look and feel thing - I think I'm feeling that warm glow too!

Lovely kit and pics - thanks for sharing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE