My PSK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That’s quite a cool setup faca. No bigger than a bunch of keys and yet so much more useful....Unless you need to get into the car! :yikes:

Cheers

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
there not such a thing as a perfect kit, and there is no such a thing as a kit that suits everyone. but a PSK usually should provide:

-first aid
-shelter
-fire
-water
-food
-signalling.

-you lack first aid ( so does mine, i carry a seperate FAK )
-shelter is cover in the form of building material.
-you got 2 ways of starting fire, which is good, but no tinder
-no water carrier or purification tabs
-you got snares and fishing wire, but i haven't seen hooks, weights and swivels.
-no signal mirror.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Ok you are rigth I must clear :oops:
Signaling: the back of the sharper is mirrow polished.
Into the matchbox I carry 5 hooks.
Tinder: all the rubber in the kit can be use for it and some cotton is carried into the matchbox.
Water purifier yes I must add some vial (looking for it some of you know where to get one here in europe) with differents tabs (pain killers....)
To this kit I always wear on in my trouser leg pocket:
One plastic Zip bag = can be use to water carry.
Into this Zipbag:(in its outside I put a piece of ductape for repear puntures and others repears)
Emergency plastic poncho.
Emergency aluminium blanket modificated with holes in its side to allow tie down as shelter.
Head mosquito net (to melt snow, fishing......)
My idea is to made a PSK with differents modules so you avoid this bulky and heavy "ONE PSK BAG" that for me are unconfortable to carry.
Alway is good see differents point of view from people.
Thanks

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
hiya faca,

it's a pretty cool set up, i think that with very compact kits you have to draw the line somewhere. if you try to get too much on board it gets too bulky and heavy, or you're obliged to use components that are not really upto the job (the old condom water carrier idea is a pet hate of mine)

just in case anyone didn't spot the attachment button over on the osf thread this is faca's kit.
331004-PSK.jpg

if you misplace your camp or get separated from your ruck somehow, you have at least got ignition and cordage for a quick fire and shelter construction for an overnight stay. here's hoping you've got a knife too!

can you tell us more about the gear keeper thingy? my car key kit is based round a small carabiner, which is a bit bulky on it's own.

cheers, and.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Sorry Sargey I understand that you are speaking about paracord used to hang the kit from my belt loop.
Simple I used paracord tie with Macrame knots, in one tip I put a carved piece of wood used as botton so I can pass through the other end between the two knots above coils (holebotton) and made a close loop.
You can adjust the length tieing this loop in different beltloops so the weigh of the goods hang from your beltloop no in the botton of your pocket.
Enjoy

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
no sorry mate, i was referring to the ring in the middle, are the connectors on the ring detachable somehow? or are they like big fishing swivels?

cheers, and.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Yes they are detachable they are the same that you can find in dog strap but the smaller ones I found in hardware store.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Faca its Good to see you over here!!! :wave: :You_Rock_

Show people your wire saw modification :-D

This is the top half of Faca to go with the picture of his legs above: :roll:

pic_orlando.jpg

:uu:

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Hi Orlando, How are you?

I forgot how to tie those macrame knots you showed me while on the woodlander. But after seeing your PSK managed to figure it out, now I've got macrame key rings and knife lanyards, cheers mate :-D

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hello guys.
Gary I have not got the matchbox I asked you, impossible to find it in NET.
If some of you know where to get notice me.
I have get soem blades from BRISA and in near future I´ll post my DIY knife.
Stuart I must take the photo machine from office ASAS I´ll post the modificated wiresaw.
Will, I´m happy you like.
Enjoy.

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Howdy folks, first post here. I've lurked a bit and figured it was about time I registered, even though Sargey and Hoodoo are members. :wink: :rolmao:

Orlando, I have a couple questions about your kit, which is very nice by the way. :cool:
1. What is its approximate weight?
2. Do you cover the firesteel scraper blade with anything to keep it from damaging you or your trousers?

Thanks.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hello.
You are right the weight is an important data always.
Weight=227 grames.
The scrapper: the edge is ground off so no sharp, because the edge that I use is the sloppy one.
Some times I wrap scrapper+firesteel in the back of sharper leather shealth with rubber band.
Enjoy

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have just realized that your sharpening stone on your kit is made from a short lenth of steel (like the strikers on the swedish firesteel) with the sticky back dimond sheet that comes with the Sissi (aka ranger) puukko
stuck on it

you can get them on there own from anywhere that sells the ranger puukko its paper thin sheet with dimond dust on one side and sticky adheasive on the other so they can be stuck anywhere

does anyone know where i can find a tutorial on tieing those macrame knots on the web??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE