My New Dream Knife (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
before crimbo, i asked Dougster if he could make me my perfect knife
and he said he could
and he did
DSCF2249.jpg

DSCF2242.jpg

DSCF2247.jpg

DSCF2250.jpg

DSCF2251.jpg

DSCF2252.jpg

DSCF2253.jpg

DSCF2256.jpg

DSCF2259.jpg

blade is a Shing CPM 3V, 4mm scandi, scales are Macassar Ebony with black liners
Blade length is 120mm, overall length 230mm
really strong, heavy and sturdy knife - lethal sharp, perfectly balanced. the scales are really unusual (thanks Jed!), and it's hard to appreciate them fully from a photo.
all expertly turned into a fantastic knife by Richard - officially a top bloke! helpful, patient and someone i would really like to meet one day. the knife threw up a few problems which Dougster will hopefully tell you about, but the end result is just what i wanted. i've done a bit of carving today with some seasoned oak, and it was as easy as using pine - can't wait to use it in anger properly!
it also came in a lovely double dangler sheath, also brilliantly put together by Dougster
apologies for all the photos, but i wanted to show it off! the last photo is with the possibles pouch that jojo made for me
hope you like it!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very nice Gorilla and great work Dougster.

I can also vouch for his handy work, top quality craftsmanship all round.

Great pouch aswell

Rich

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
also my idea of a dream knife. nice chunkey blade, looks like it will be great for battoning. i love the wood and the shape of the handle too.

pete

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Beautifully made and solid. Nothing flouncy about it, it's a real edged tool. You know that's not going to snap off in your hand!

A great looking, working knife.
Cheers,
Steve

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Top Job Gorilla, nice one. I've been waiting for these pic's since i sent Dougster the scales and i had no doubt that he'd knock out a nice piece but this is truly impressive. I bet your made up. Nice one mate.

P.S I'm seeing Richard this saturday, do you want me to give him a big sloppy kiss?:D

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
Top Job Gorilla, nice one. I've been waiting for these pic's since i sent Dougster the scales and i had no doubt that he'd knock out a nice piece but this is truly impressive. I bet your made up. Nice one mate.

P.S I'm seeing Richard this saturday, do you want me to give him a big sloppy kiss?:D

dunno about a kiss, but certainly a firm handshake:D

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Really impressive knife fella, I love the scales, nice handle shape too looks comfy. All in a great looking knife.

Simon.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Thank-you for all the kind words. I am really starting to get into this lately, it's the first thing for a long time I've actually thrown myself into wholeheartedly. I think people being happy with what I make them is the main factor, but I see a fault in each one.:rolleyes:

This was an epic and Iain was the patient one, porr old Shing went down with a chronic chest infection after full on flu just after I asked for the blade, then there were problems with the HT of the first batch which delayed it still further.

The handle, whilst hard and a thing of beauty kept changing shape on me, it had to be sanded flat several times and ended up narrower than I had planned, that is also the reason it has three huge bolts - this one is secure. Some things are worth the effort and this is one of them. Only nature can come up with stuff like that.

As usual it was based on a fantastic blade by Shing, a highly under-rated maker, he also made the bolts on the knife. There is more leatherwork on the way which is having a couple of coats of oil dry as I type. I just didn't want to hold this up further.

Here's a photo I took earlier this week in about ten minutes of sunlight to show the wood off. It really is lovely.

Here's the pic, with a gorilla sized keyring I used to practice.:p

January08010.jpg

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Brilliant mate! your doing some really nice work.

Oh and have i mentioned that cpm 3v is THE best steel for this kind of knife:D

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Brilliant mate! your doing some really nice work.

Oh and have i mentioned that cpm 3v is THE best steel for this kind of knife:D

Thank-you. :D

I have another blank that I'm going to sell soon, then I'm going to ask Shing to make me a drop point in full flat, with the same steel and handle to give me a go at it. I'm impressed with it from what I've heard from Oakleaf about his.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Wow! That's certainly a very professional job you've done there. I'm very impressed. Not often I am, but quality speaks for itself.

Nag.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very nice ;)

I use a shing bushy blade in 01 with the same shape and it does all i ask and more. Imagine one without the problems of 01 ? Well you dont need to do you lol :eek:

Very nice work dougster.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE