My First Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PhilipTreeWalker

Jan 24, 2020
Hampshire
Hello knife people! I have just joined the forum and am happy to find a place to talk about knives!

I have just finished my first knife... which I will show you once I work out how to post pictures?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi Philip, welcome. I look forward to seeing your knife. If you become a full member you can upload pictures directly into your posting. Otherwise you will need to use a hosting site and copy the photo link into your posting. There are some real blade craftsmen on this forum and I'm sure you'll get plenty of helpful support.

How about telling us a little more about your interests? Is it only the 'edged tools' aspect of the forum that you're keen on?

Edit: - sorry, I missed your earlier post!

Last edited:

PhilipTreeWalker

Jan 24, 2020
Hampshire
Hi Philip, welcome. I look forward to seeing your knife. If you become a full member you can upload pictures directly into your posting. Otherwise you will need to use a hosting site and copy the photo link into your posting. There are some real blade craftsmen on this forum and I'm sure you'll get plenty of helpful support.

How about telling us a little more about your interests? Is it only the 'edged tools' aspect of the forum that you're keen on?

Edit: - sorry, I missed your earlier post!

No worries :) Certainly keen on the 'edged tools' aspect of the forum though. I have been building up to making a knife for a long time after buying a handmade knife for a friend 10 years ago. I have built a heat treat oven with the help of my father, and spent an unhealthy amount of time on youtube!!

I should have made a simpler knife for the first go, the handle was difficult! However I learnt so much from this one!

EDC I.jpg EDC I 2.jpg EDC I 1.jpg

PhilipTreeWalker

Jan 24, 2020
Hampshire
Very nice indeed! You sure that's you first? ;)

Thanks. Definitely my first, you can't see all the mistakes in the photos! I have some experience as a maker www.philipjameswalker.com ;)

Very nice, the handle looks great.
Ash and Oak?

Thanks. bobnew boy nailed it below!

Looks like walnut and London plane to me :)

Good eye! The London plane is lovely, but magically absorbs dirt from everywhere. Not very practical.

Palming the pommel might be slightly difficult. Otherwise nice!

What is 'palming the pommel'? Obviously a technique for some kind of knife work?

Nice. Very nice!

Looks like a nicer version of the great Fällkniven WoMan1

Oh yeah, it is similar! Thanks for saying it looks a nicer version, it is a sweet little knife. Not the shape I originally drew, it sort of evolved, but I have seen similar so I am sure I took some inspiration from other makers.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Your handle looks more ‘hand friendly’ than the Fällkniven one.

For woods that attract dirt, I like to infuse them first with diluted boat varnish, then apply boat varnish in several layers, fine sanding in between.
For ‘users’ I finish the surface at about 220 - 320 grit.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Good eye! The London plane is lovely, but magically absorbs dirt from everywhere. Not very practical.
I find a hard finish, such as several built up, rubbed down coats of very runny superglue works well on woods with grain to fill, or woods that have a variable surface, such as burls. Once finished, the superglue coat/shell is very hard wearing and can be polished up or left matt as required. Superglue is also much cheaper than a Massey finish (epoxy and acetone)

//Bob

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
With your wood carving background, I think you really need to look at hidden tangs as the way forward. Mortise them in, or use a handle broach (starting with a pen drill to get room for the broach). Having wrap-around wood without a pre-defined tang shape to work to, allows greater freedom, and you can use all wood shaping tools without fear of dinging an edge, up till the point you put a pin in.

You might like this...handle fitting starts around post 226
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wheelers-steel-stuck-in-the-metal-with-you.808140/page-12
And this by Dan Farr
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-new-piece-from-dan-farr.858866/

Photos look like its a very well executed first knife...and to have gone with a real HT oven rather than just a propane torch...:notworthy2: :cool3:

Chris

PhilipTreeWalker

Jan 24, 2020
Hampshire
Your handle looks more ‘hand friendly’ than the Fällkniven one.

For woods that attract dirt, I like to infuse them first with diluted boat varnish, then apply boat varnish in several layers, fine sanding in between.
For ‘users’ I finish the surface at about 220 - 320 grit.

Awesome, thanks for the tip.

When one uses the knife as a chisel, many people hit the pommel with their palm as it is a fairly controllable way of doing it.

Ah ok, the next knife will be more of a bushcraft style with a big butt, so I will have a go.

I find a hard finish, such as several built up, rubbed down coats of very runny superglue works well on woods with grain to fill, or woods that have a variable surface, such as burls. Once finished, the superglue coat/shell is very hard wearing and can be polished up or left matt as required. Superglue is also much cheaper than a Massey finish (epoxy and acetone)

//Bob

If the wood is stabalised, say with cactus juice, is it less likely to attract dirt?

With your wood carving background, I think you really need to look at hidden tangs as the way forward. Mortise them in, or use a handle broach (starting with a pen drill to get room for the broach). Having wrap-around wood without a pre-defined tang shape to work to, allows greater freedom, and you can use all wood shaping tools without fear of dinging an edge, up till the point you put a pin in.

You might like this...handle fitting starts around post 226
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wheelers-steel-stuck-in-the-metal-with-you.808140/page-12
And this by Dan Farr
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-new-piece-from-dan-farr.858866/

Photos look like its a very well executed first knife...and to have gone with a real HT oven rather than just a propane torch...:notworthy2: :cool3:

Chris

Hidden tang knives will certainly happen in the future! I already have some beautiful stabilised desert ironwood burl blocks ready, and a few ideas on hand carved handle shapes. That looks like a very detailed walkthrough, thanks so much for the link!!

The heat treat oven has been a fun project and I like the accuracy of it over a propane torch. I like to have the right tool for the job, which means I have learned to be careful about getting involved in hobbies. Once i'm in, I am all the way in and that usually means buying lots of tools!

PhilipTreeWalker

Jan 24, 2020
Hampshire
Yes, because all of the pores and grain of the wood should have been filled in the the stabilising product, all the way through the stabilised wood. So shaping and finishing should not leave any open pores or grain.

:) Time to build a stabaliser. Fairly straight forward from what I have seen, and I can start using some of my wood collection i've collected over the years from tree work.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Lovely looking knife. I have nothing to add regarding knife making but will say that your website is very interesting. I love the solidity of your carvings - especially the oak bench.

K

PhilipTreeWalker

Jan 24, 2020
Hampshire
Lovely looking knife. I have nothing to add regarding knife making but will say that your website is very interesting. I love the solidity of your carvings - especially the oak bench.

K

Thanks for taking the time to look. I love working with big lumps of wood, especially English Oak. There is always treasure to find within the grain. I am trying to organise my work life so that I have more time in the workshop this year!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE