My first finished carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Hi all,

I thought I would share some photos of my first finished carving (as of about 10 mins ago). I say first "finished" carving because I started a spoon before this which still needs a lot of work.

All honest opinions and constructive criticism are most welcome.

A little while back I met up with some of the lads at the Brockwell Wood Mini Meet. This is where I began work on the spoon, but I also took home a smaller log (beech I think) to work on at home. I didn't touch it for a while because I had no tools but later I decided that I would see what I could do with just my knife.

So I started to carve out a face. I ended up needing a saw to make 4 cuts. Other than that I just used my knife, some sand-paper, and a small screw to widen the hole for the twine. After carving the face I realised that I should have made it useable. It looked a bit stupid sticking out of the wood. I think this was partly because it was only a face and not a head. Anyways I ended up making it into a spatula.

The twine is cut from a length of nettle cordage I made a few weeks ago from dead nettles. I understand it's best to get them in late summer, but I wanted to try out the techniques so I just used what was around.

When finished I coated it in Red Palm Fruit Oil. I have no idea if that is of any use or not.?

Oh, and for scale, the entire thing goes from the inside of my elbow to the inside of my wrist, which makes it 25 cm long. The face is 4cm wide at the cheeks.

Anyways, here are the pictures:

First_Wood_Carving

First%20Wood%20Carving

FirstWoodCarving

First%20Wood%20Carving

First%20Wood%20Carving

First%20Wood%20Carving

First%20Wood%20Carving

First%20Wood%20Carving

Cheers

Mark

Why cant I upload pictures properly? I click the picture thing, put in the link, it comes up with

Last edited by a moderator:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
06.jpg

05.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg

there you go mate

cracking bit of carving by the way, superb for a first effort!

stuart

Last edited:

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
In the album view on photobucket, if you hover the cursor over the image you'll get a list of link types. move the cursor down to the IMG code at the bottom and then just single click. You'll see a message where the code was, saying copied. Then all you need to do is click into the message and paste the code in and it should show you the code. Once you hit post, the actual image will show in the thread post. Hope that helps..or even makes sense......=o)

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Wow,

Thank you guys very much for all the kind words, and the help. It seems I'm more dumb than I thought. I was posting the direct links instead of the IMG links.

I found this to be quite difficult, using the knife only, and am thinking of investing in a chisel or gouge or something. I see 4D_scumpunx has posted on another thread about this already (will post there too) but I was wondering if there was one type of chisel/gouge that is the best all-rounder to have as well as my knife? Or do I really need to look at a whole set of tools? I figure if i get one good all-rounder it will be better than a set of flimsy ones. I'm working to a budget here :)

Cheers

Mark

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
A gouge is always good to have to do the convex curves :) knives are just not made for that. As to which though, it depends on what you're doing. All my gouges are from the 11-piece Flexcut travel set from Axminster. Great little set for small work but you'll be struggling on anything large. You can get away with just the one good gouge though. Also really useful is a vee-tool. They are great for doing hair on figures, or adding detail in general.

The Kirschen chip carving knives are good too. I have the 500200 one and it's my knnife of choice now :)

No link to the company, just a satisfied customer :)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
oh yeah,...he's a proper little fella int he!!

he reminds me of someone!!!

very well done,..

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Thanks for that lads,

I reckon I might go for the 5 piece Flexcut Travel set. Seems dead handy. With Christmas and a birthday coming up I think we might be onto a winner.

Cheers

Mark

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Smashing carving for a first effort, though I can't decide whether he looks jolly or just jolly creepy!
Anyway, great work considering it's your first and you used so few tools. Well done!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE