My first carved spoon!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Reddo

Tenderfoot
Afternoon!

Just about finished my first carved spoon today! I was originally carving a bowl but I decided to give it a break and went for a walk - ofcourse I came across the perfect shaped piece of wood for a spoon and decided to give it a go!

Now I did not in any way make this any easier for myself - the wood was not green and already had a slight crack- Knowing this I decided to go ahead anyway. I used these tools - The knife was brilliant - curved blade really needed a sharpen !
IMG_8733.jpg

I know it is not anything special but I'm pleased with it so far - I still believe I need plentttyyyy more practise!
IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8731.jpg

IMG_8732.jpg

I Did not realise just how addictive this could become!

Zoe

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Well done :) ... you are right that it can get addictive, I've ended up making whole sets (knife / fork /spoon) but I've yet to make a spork like Dean has.

Ed

Reddo

Tenderfoot
Well done :) ... you are right that it can get addictive, I've ended up making whole sets (knife / fork /spoon) but I've yet to make a spork like Dean has.

Ed

Thanks, I'm hoping to get my bowl finished, but with the amount of blisters I currently have its proving to be a bit difficult!
I'd like to eventually get into carving animal figures from wood, but as I say - much more practise needed before I even consider trying that! :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
.....but with the amount of blisters I currently have its proving to be a bit difficult!
Probably best to lay off a bit till they have healed :( ... What I usualy tell my students is to carve wood every day, even if it is just making a feather stick, but dont over do it. Within no time at all the use of a knife becomes second nature and hopefully in a few months their skin has hardened in the places it needs to to stop getting blisters too badly.

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE