My Bushcraft First Aid Kit - Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I thought I'd share my Bushcraft First Aid Kit with you.

It is small enough not to be a burden or too heavy or awkward to carry, yet complete enough to to cope with nearly any scenario that could come up.

The Aim of this kit it two fold, firstly to take care of all the little PITA things like a Headache, Toothache, The trots, Small Blisters, little nicks on fingers etc...etc...
And Secondly to control a major Bleed until further, more suitable help arrives, E.G. an Ambulance,

It is not designed to treat a Major bleed and then allow the Casualty to continue to climb Mount Everest, but rather to stop the Casualty from bleeding out while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

In our field we have to accept an element of self-responsibility regarding our personal First aid.
Many of us venture to place where conventional Ambulances can't get to, or to places when although conventional Ambulances can get to you they take much longer than normal to arrive, as such we need to be prepared and able to help ourselves for any given period should the need arise.

anyway enough waffle here are the pic's:

The Main Basic Kit:
23092011822.jpg

Here is the Kit opened out:
23092011824.jpg

Here is the Medications Module 1 packed
23092011835.jpg

Here is the Medications Module 1 opened out
23092011836.jpg

Or an alternative way
23092011837.jpg

Here is the Medications Module 2 packed
23092011826.jpg

Here is the Medications Module 2 opened out
23092011825.jpg

Here is the Tools Module packed
23092011827.jpg

Here is the Tools Module opened out
23092011828.jpg

Here is the Irrigation Module 1 packed
23092011829.jpg

Here is the Irrigation Module 1 opened out
23092011830.jpg

Here is the Small Wound Dressing Module packed
23092011833.jpg

Here is the Small Wound Dressing Module opened out
23092011834.jpg

Here is the Large Wound Dressing Module packed
23092011838.jpg

Here is the Large Wound Dressing Module opened out
23092011839.jpg

Here is the Loose Items packed
23092011831.jpg

Here is the Loose Items opened out
23092011832.jpg

My additional modules
23092011840.jpg

The Severe Blood stopping Toolkit opened out
23092011841.jpg

The Kids Modules packed
23092011842.jpg

The Kids Wound Dressings Module opened out
23092011843.jpg

The Kids Medications Module opened out
23092011844.jpg

Here's the bag I keep it all in
23092011823.jpg
its just a Red Exped Dry Bag - Medium

Attachments

• 23092011820.jpg
    23092011820.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 23092011821.jpg
    23092011821.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Looks like an excellent kit to deal with most situations. Makes my FAK look pretty amateurish and disorganized, Id like you to be around next time I have an accident!

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
By the way, where did you get the individual doses of ibuprofen, aspirin etc from, they look ideal to chuck in my FAK instead of boxes of tablets?

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
when i have a stotting heed on sunday morning, i shall be knocking on your tarp dear sir.
chris's devil brew tends to be a heartburn inducer too so i'm awfully happy to see that you have this base covered too :You_Rock_

Very impressive. You have put a lot of time and thinking into this. You will find it helpful to have individual packets of kit separated out for each medical injury.

Only one small suggestion: bin your Quick clot ACS+ and buy Celox. Quickclot is worthless unless you have used it and trained for it and even then it is dangerous.
Celox can be used by anyone quite safely.

I am amazed that you got all of that kit into your bag. That really is a nice set up.

That's a well organised kit. I like the way that if you were the casualty somebody else, unfamiliar with your pack, could still find what they needed quickly. What is the clear ?plastic object - looks like the top of a plastic bottle cut off - in the loose items photo - to the right of the three rolls of tape?

Hi all, thanks for your kind words.

@ pauljm116 got them on my last trip to the Stateshttp://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/member.php?u=24847, Another solution it to pop a few of you regular Meds in a mini ziplock bag and lable it.
After all realistically the Meds in your First Aid Kit, is only going to be used by yourself or only given to people who trust you, you can also get them from E-bay the seller "redflaresupplies" sells them in pack of 10 sachets.

@ Toilet Digger Sorry mate had to leave at 4pm today while Chris was doing the Char Cloth Demo, may be next time lol..

@ BoonDoc Thanks for the suggestion, I chose Quickclot because I'm a former Army Medic and I have used it and been trained to use it, these Sponges aren't as dangerous as the older Quickclot powders once were, these newer ones are in a T-bag, like bag so no more powder in your eyes or mouth, and the Endothermic Reaction has been substantially reduced; but the main reason why I chose Quickclot over Celox is, that I have never used or been trained to use Celox.
But Celox it is something that I should really take a look at.

@ Silentbob Its called a Zerowet, basically its an irrigation tip/Shield, You place it on to the front of the syringe, it allows you to get a bit of pressure for irrigating a wound, and it acts as a splash guard as well, I sent them a request for a trial through their Website and they sent me a box of 8, 6 of them were in sterile wrappers which may be preferred by some.
Here is a link to their requests page http://www.zerowet.com/req.asp I told them I was in the UK and they were fine with it.

iboga

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2010
England
Looking good! A question - Are those tablets in the med module, soluble? If so for what reason?
Just curious

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
@ pauljm116 got them on my last trip to the Stateshttp://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/member.php?u=24847, Another solution it to pop a few of you regular Meds in a mini ziplock bag and lable it.
After all realistically the Meds in your First Aid Kit, is only going to be used by yourself or only given to people who trust you, you can also get them from E-bay the seller "redflaresupplies" sells them in pack of 10 sachets.
Having seen the postage charges, zip lock bags it is.

Thanks

MB

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
That looks very well organised I am jealous my travel/personal kit is the exact opposite and is jammed in as small a space as possible. In fairness I do have some basics and minor stuff elsewhere and it is possible to get to minor stuff without tipping it all out but for anything else it's like a kid on christmas morning.

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Very well organised - makes a huge difference having things labelled when someone else needs to get something from your kit (i.e. for you). I have an old Gregson Life Saver Pack that has labelled pouches (with pictures) to help organise. Sections for general, minor cuts, major cuts, fractures / breaks & burns. Everything has been renewed several times but I still sort the contents into the labelled pouches.

Reminder to self - time to check FAK contents ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE