1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

My belt kit - All sheaths made by me.

Discussion in 'DIY and Traditional crafts' started by leo0274, Jan 12, 2020.

1. leo0274

leo0274 Member

Hey guys, today I finished the sheaths on my belt kit, next I want to make a belt.

A machete, knife, hatchet and a folding shovel.

Yes, a machete and a hatchet. The machete is very light, so it's not a big deal carrying both. Machete is good for cutting small stuff for a long period, like opening trails, chopping bushes and thin branches, maybe chop down a medium size tree, but it's terrible for spliting firewood, which is necessary to reach the dry stuff in the middle, since it's raining pretty much everyday now.

Here it goes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the hatchet sheath I used cape bufalo horn for the button and the hide of a south american coati, that I shot on my first time hunting with a shotgun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the shovel I just copied the original pouch it came with. I haven't taken it to the wood yet. I know I won't be able to dig trentches with it, but for small holes for the bathroom, or for a fire it will work fine, it seems sturdy enough.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dogoak and Dark Horse Dave like this.
  2. Fadcode

Fadcode Full Member

Nice bit of work there, the belt itself looks a bit on the thin side,so i can understand you wanting to make a new one, well done.

leo0274 likes this.
  3. leo0274

leo0274 Member

The belt belonged to my father, it was his everyday belt for several years. He gave it to me 6 or 7 years ago, when I was in high school and started wearing pants that needed belt, so a few years later I got myself a new belt, and this one became my bushcraft belt

4. Fadcode

Fadcode Full Member

without doubt a nice belt, it just looks a bit thin to carry all that gear, I would have thought it would cut into you with that weight on, that is assuming you wear everything at once.

leo0274 likes this.
  5. Janne

Janne M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

Nice work!
    I specially love the Coati skin detail!

Can you eat a coati?

leo0274 likes this.
  6. leo0274

leo0274 Member

The kit it's not very heavy as is.. but I intend to add a canteen, and that worries me a little... But sure a wider belt will be better, also I'm thinking of making suspenders

7. leo0274

leo0274 Member

Yes, it's a very good meat.
    I didn't pay much attention to how it was prepared, I was prepared the hide, but it was made in a big cast iron pan, with rice and seasoning, but it was really good

Janne likes this.
  8. forrestdweller

travelling (OZ, NZ, korea, Japan, central america)
    goodjob

do i understand correctly that your machete sheath faces backwards (like a sword/sabre) rather than downwards?! if yes: how did you attach the loops to the sheath itself?!
    reason i ask is because over here in central america the locals wear their machetes in centre seam sheaths and facing downwards which i find highly annoying as they always end up dangling between my legs and getting in the way -- your sheath seems to be a solution to that issue...