My £4 DIY stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Hey all,

Thought I would share my piccys from making the stove, It is a £4 Asda utensil holder. I took inspiration from looking at £70 stoves made from plates and decided that the £66 in my pocket would be a better weight to carry.

Anyway, I simply cut a nice hole and bobs your uncle. I think there is a similar Ikea model I read on here years ago...

Just a tip, When cutting the hole out use a powertool, I used a terrible juniour hacksaw from a "readymade" toolbox from B&Q. Took me 2 hours! IT didnt help that to get the blade in at an angle I had to cut at a 60 degree angle. Maybe at 11pm the other four housemates got annoyed from the racket :headbang: (Banker,Travel agent, Dentist, Retail)

Had a little test in the park worked great, I know I damaged the grass I had it propped up on the wettest sticks I could find but it vapourised them. (lesson learnt)

The Crusader mug fits in the top with no wobble when full. Also added a butchered can as a wind sheild.

Had a break during blade swaps...

Test

If anyone has any ideas how I could raise this thing with pegs or DIY legs leave a comment.

Lots of Snugpak left, once its gone its gone. (Trader section)

Proceeds to my degree, I got the place two days ago !!!

T

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I've been using a similar utensil holder as a basic stove for a few years now. Dare I say it- cost less than yours (free) since I found it on a beach and thought that would make an ideal stove ;)

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I've been using a similar utensil holder as a basic stove for a few years now. Dare I say it- cost less than yours (free) since I found it on a beach and thought that would make an ideal stove ;)

Lots of good stuff to be found on beaches!

Sry everyone btw I had a search but couldnt find the hobo stove thread. my bad for making this

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Lots of good stuff to be found on beaches!

Sry everyone btw I had a search but couldnt find the hobo stove thread. my bad for making this

No need to apologise, it's good to show off newly made stuff as inspiration to others. The fact you came up with the idea before seeing the hobo stove thread is a major thumbs up in itself. goodjob

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
No need to apologise, it's good to show off newly made stuff as inspiration to others. The fact you came up with the idea before seeing the hobo stove thread is a major thumbs up in itself. goodjob

No I had seen a thread on the ikea holder a few years ago, it must have got stuck in my noggin then. cheers though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE