mushroom and bug question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The beetle is a Violet Ground Beetle, Carabus violaceus. Great thing to have in the garden, 'cos they eat slugs. Personally, I always refer to them as violent ground beetles. Nice picture.

I'll pass on the 'shroom, as boletes aren't my strong point.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
That was quick! Thank you :)

The beetle is a Violet Ground Beetle, Carabus violaceus. Great thing to have in the garden, 'cos they eat slugs. Personally, I always refer to them as violent ground beetles. Nice picture.

I'll pass on the 'shroom, as boletes aren't my strong point.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
The mushroom is unidentifiable without a picture of what it looks like immediately after being cut open and even then identification would not be easy. My best guess is Boletus luridus, but I'm far from certain...

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
The mushroom is unidentifiable without a picture of what it looks like immediately after being cut open and even then identification would not be easy. My best guess is Boletus luridus, but I'm far from certain...

Thanks!

I didn't think of cutting it open. Next time I know what to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Thanks!

I didn't think of cutting it open. Next time I know what to do!

You might be surprised what happens:

Boletus_amygdalinus(nw-02).jpg

You need to note how the colours change within the first few seconds, and then what happens over the next few minutes.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
You might be surprised what happens:

Boletus_amygdalinus(nw-02).jpg

You need to note how the colours change within the first few seconds, and then what happens over the next few minutes.

Oh WOW! Is that some form of oxidisation? That looks spacey! :)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Oh WOW! Is that some form of oxidisation? That looks spacey! :)

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/jul2003.html

The blueing reaction is easily explained through biochemistry. A compound called variegatic acid remains colorless unless it is exposed to oxygen. The cell walls of Gyroporus cyanescens are easily broken, exposing the variegatic acid to the air. The oxygenase enzyme converts the variegatic acid to its quinone methide, which is blue. Interestingly, in many other boletes, in the absence of oxygen, variegatic acid is converted to variegatorubin, which is responsible to the red color found in many members of this group. The possible functions of the variegatic acid and its color shifts to blue or red are unknown. Anyone have any ideas?

gcyan-var2.jpg

Is it some form of oxidisation? Yes...some sort. ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE