MS..aaaaaaaaR!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
you know that feeling when you can't go wrong?

today i looked in an army surplus shop and found in a bucket of gloves a black bag, i looked at it and was surprized to find anMSR stove complete with fuel bottle and repair kit and even a box of matches!!

any one into mountain sports will have heard of these!

i realised that these are way out of my price range but asked just for the hell of it, much to my delight he said...

"oh i don't know my boss never puts prices on stuff, i don't know how about £3 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

knowing full well this was an unbelieveable bargain not to be missed i asked it to be put to one side whilst i got some cash!!

on returning it was still there, still £3 but the younger assistant was i think a little nervous for his assitant manager, and said just the bottle alone is £8!! i said nothing and the assistant manager refusing to give in to the younger chaps concerns (egos at stake :roll: !) sold it to me for the aranged £3!

don't you just love days like this!!! :twisted:
the RRP is £65 to £70!!!!!
:rolmao: :rolmao: :eek:):

oh as a side note i know you can run them on meths but i'm not sure which jet to use do you? :?:

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
what is it? a dragonfly? I got one, it's great, just keep the valve clean and store it in your pot so nit to bump and dent it.

good bargin indeed!

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Great bargin, you little blighter!
I've got a Whisperlite Internationale 600, so if it's one of thos give me a shout, i'll check out on the manual for you.
think it might be the "K" jet though.

:edit:
or you could check on teh site and download the manual if it's there?
is for mine anyway.
http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/

Well done :)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
You lucky git !!!!

I'm in the market for a Landrover soon..... I'm going to send you out with £50 and await delivery of my 3 yr old 110 defender with full service history LOL :-D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
whisperlite international! :-D

it smelt of petrol when i bought it so i'm assuming the "G" jet is set up, (i have tried it out and it works fine).

i have 3 other jets in the spares kit:

2x "K" which i beleive to be for kerosene/diesel

and 1x "IG" of which i'm not sure about! :-?

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Nice one... they're a bit fiddly to get going... but once they are... bugger me.. roar away.
First time i used it on some cheap cookset pans, it nearly burnt a hole through it.
Flame control / simmering, is quite tricky though, need to lower the fuel bottle pressure prior to starting.

Run mine on Parafin (Kerosene), and after having it running for about 20 mins was expecting the fuel to be down a bit... hardly touched it any of it.. impressive.

I'm not sure what size fuel bottle you have, but the shaker jet setup can fit snuggly in one of the smaller fuel bottles (0.3 is it).
Fits easily into a pack and should be enough fuel for a few nights normal use.

Good luck with it mate.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I have the same, had it for years, one of the seals went on it last year so MSR replaced it no questions asked, thats what I call after sales care! Good find mate, I hope it serves you well.

Brian

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
whisperlite international! :-D

ii have 3 other jets in the spares kit:

2x "K" which i beleive to be for kerosene/diesel

and 1x "IG" of which i'm not sure about! :-?

"IG" = "LG"? (leaded gas)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I'd say never use it "near" your tent. Or anything flammable as they can "fireball" at times :yikes:

Roving Rich said:
Kiss your eyebrows goodbye and NEVER use it in a tent!
Rich

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:bu:

:yikes: thanks for the very sensible advice!!

i have used a friends MSR stove so i have a good idea about the priming and indead the verisiousness of them.

first time i used one the flames and noise were quite scarey, something you woulden't immediatley think was safe, especially with a pressurised bottle of petrol next to it! :shock: :shock:

of course i would never use them in a tent!
:biggthump

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
-- Begin safety tip --

Another piece of advice for you ... never, ever, ever, no matter what anybody tells you, ever, ever, ever, use a SIGG bottle as a fuel bottle for an MSR. I've had outdoor shops tell me a load of B :nono: l :nono: cks about these. Firstly, the threads aren't the same (you can screw then together but they don't mate right). Secondly, the MSR bottle is one piece construction while the SIGG is not. Having been told this once I decided to hook up an old MSR pump to an old SIGG bottle that was filled with water and pump away ... after about 60 - 70 pumps the bottle thread separated away from the rest of the bottle. I know that this is more pressure than you normally give the thing but I wouldn't like to think that this could happen with a bottle filled with petrol near a lit stove :bu: Your next job could be in a theater as the Phantom of the Opera! :yikes:
-- End safety tip --

Also, get a spares kit ... dead handy! I also bought the titanium tool spoon so I always have the right tools.

Good stove though ... can be a bit scary early on but once you get used to it it's pretty foolproof!

Also, if you ever change the jet from apetrol jet to the kerosene jet, remember to swap them back afterwards!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
May I second Adi700's advice never to attach sigg fuel bottles to MSR stoves

It is worth noting the a certain artic explorer by the name of Mr R Fiennes
once tried to run his MSR stove from A Sigg fuel bottle.

the resulting fireball burnt down his tent and left him in a bad situation in antartica

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Another piece of advice for you ... never, ever, ever, no matter what anybody tells you, ever, ever, ever, use a SIGG bottle as a fuel bottle for an MSR. I've had outdoor shops tell me a load of B :nono: l :nono: cks about these.

Thank you for the very good advice. I had a lad in a "camping" store trying to sell me a Sigg as a spare for my Wisperlite just two days ago. I noticed the threads fit a tad sloppy and passed on the item. I didn't think out the full implications.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE