Mossie net for Domestic use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Last summer sleeping with the window open for ventilation lead me to being eaten alive by mossies (a downside of living in a swamp).

Closing the window isn't an option, it's too hot. So I'm thinking to get a mossie net for my bed. I've never needed a mossie net in a domestic setting before, I've only really used them when bivviing. Can anyone advise on what to look for when buying a mossie net for long term (about 3 months a year) use? any advice for the use?

Thanks

J

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
IKEA make an excellent one. It is called Bryne. Superb design.

If you do not want to hang it over your bed, just make a frame, fix the netting on that and put in front of the open window.

that netting I use for several things, including bags to keep my bait fish in outside the boat.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have a great double bed one that I got from a charity shop (as most of my things are) it tucks in under the matress and you are fully enclosed which is great untill you forget that it's there and get out of bed in the night for a quick visit to the little room half asleep and forget it's there! Ditto trying to switch off the alarm in the morning! Once you are used to it it's great for a nip free sleep. Doesn't stop the little bookers from whining round the room all night keeping you awake. I think Janne's idea of a frame that covers the open window with the netting on is a brilliant idea. Got to fit the window opening well or they will squeeze through. I use fly netting in black over the windows and doors in the summer.it works very well and stops the "tangled in the bed net" problem .! Perhaps that's just me being forgetful though :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The negative with the window net is that it stops a lot of the air flow. When we built the hose, we specified internal, removable mesh screens for all windows - of course at an extra added cost. Within a year, we removed all that were on the windows wife opens to air the place.

But yes, the bed net does make you trip.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
What sort of mesh is on those screens? Is it netting or fine mesh. I don't feel I have a problem with airflow myself with the black netting I use ( aldi special offer last year) the door netting has magnets down the middle so you can easily walk through and it just magically shuts behind you.
I may have a problem with the winDow netting this year as I've had my wooden windows replaced with pvc ones(not my choice ... housing association dictate) as they were fixed with tacks will not be able to do that this year I may pinch your frame idea Janne.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE