Mosin Nagant at 300 yards

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
I took the Mosin last week and the old girl (1942) still shoots pretty good. I was hitting things at 300 yards prone and standing at 100 yards.

I thought to myself a soldier that got to live long enough to understand how his/her rifle worked had a good weapon in the Mosin Nagant.

Mine shoots high to the right with the bayonet on and shoots really high to the right with out it.

I'm just an average shot with open sights and this thing just shoots for effect if not groups. The Chinese ammo does bind in the mag.

Click below if you like ugly old surplus rifles.

[video]https://youtu.be/-VairiP8Z6E[/video]

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I am not familiar with bolt action rifles although my brother shot a Lee-Enfield in the OTC at school. I do wonder why people nowadays seem to put the rifle down to reload when surely in action the rifle would be kept into the shoulder and the bolt operated in that position.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you know your shot groups, why not adjust the sights for zero?
My Rem BDL in .30-'06 can do as well but it was really bad form to always shoot off zero when the sights could have been adjusted.
In my club, it's common to maintain the firearm and reload at the shoulder for 5 shot groups.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Have to say the MN has never impressed me.

Compared to the contemporary Lee Enfield No.4 which even with irons and surplus ammo shoots 600-800 yards accurately even in relatively unskilled hands and out to 1000 with practice. The K98 is a better rifle too.

Then you have to consider the fire power that the yanks had in the M1 Garand both in terms of rate of fire and power of the 30-06 I'm afraid the Russian rifle looks a sorry fellow.

When you weigh up this and the success of their snipers it makes you realise their incredible skill and daring, sometimes fuelled by blind hatred and a passion that only comes when you are fighting for the freedom of your home country.

Really pre Kalashnikov the Russian guns were plain cheap and cheerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland

Compared to the contemporary Lee Enfield No.4 which even with irons and surplus ammo shoots 600-800 yards accurately even in relatively unskilled hands and out to 1000 with practice. The K98 is a better rifle too.

Then you have to consider the fire power that the yanks had in the M1 Garand both in terms of rate of fire and power of the 30-06 I'm afraid the Russian rifle looks a sorry fellow.

When you weigh up this and the success of their snipers it makes you realise their incredible skill and daring, sometimes fuelled by blind hatred and a passion that only comes when you are fighting for the freedom of your home country.

Really pre Kalashnikov the Russian guns were plain cheap and cheerful.

+1 on the Enfield and the K98. I've actually fired all 3 (albeit a refurbished 98 With modern parts) but the MN is a solid little rifle though, and for the price you can't whinge. As you say plain, cheap and cheerful. If I remember the bolt wasn't the smoothest thing in the world compared to either of its British or German competitors, but then that may be due to the manufacturing quality rather than design

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Just a comment on ammunition Dontkillbill, and I appreciate I'm speaking of a gas operated weapon rather than bolt action and different case lengths but from personal experience of testing an AK47 (old model 7x39mm not the AKM) I found that better accuracy was achieved with the 122 grain Serbian made ammunition rather than the original Russian ammunition. The old Russian M43 steel core bullet of of 123 grains of which we only had a very limited supply had ferocious penetration capabilities admittedly, but the newer M67 bullet in the Serbian ammunition out performed it overall out to 300 metres. I never tested Chinese ammunition but just wondered as far as manufacturer is concerned if your MN might prefer some Balkan or USA manufactured ammunition, as in single shot mode the Serbian rounds performed consistently well, although I realise there may be a significant difference in price..

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
The jacketed steel core bullets are quite interesting over here. We have all bought them and shot them over the years. They are by UK legal definition armour piercing and strictly speaking totally illegal.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
+1 on the Enfield and the K98. I've actually fired all 3 (albeit a refurbished 98 With modern parts) but the MN is a solid little rifle though, and for the price you can't whinge. As you say plain, cheap and cheerful. If I remember the bolt wasn't the smoothest thing in the world compared to either of its British or German competitors, but then that may be due to the manufacturing quality rather than design

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The MN is what it is: an inexpensive alternative that;s still relatively plentiful and a more than adequate (albeit not the pre 64 Winchester Model 70) rifle for fun and hunting. It'll get better (although more expensive) as buyers have them tuned and adjusted (sporterized)

For other shooters/collectors, it's an inexpensive, shootable piece of history.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The MN is what it is: an inexpensive alternative that;s still relatively plentiful and a more than adequate (albeit not the pre 64 Winchester Model 70) rifle for fun and hunting. It'll get better (although more expensive) as buyers have them tuned and adjusted (sporterized)

Both pursuits are well served by the MN.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire

I'v never understood why american zombie prepper types seem to put the MN on a pedestal. It werent even that great in its day as far as i can tell and the M1 would knock it into next week
Is it just price?....are there not shed loads of M1's knocking around?....what about the millions of sporter rifles that must be cheap as chips in the states

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'v never understood why american zombie prepper types seem to put the MN on a pedestal. It werent even that great in its day as far as i can tell and the M1 would knock it into next week
Is it just price?....are there not shed loads of M1's knocking around?....what about the millions of sporter rifles that must be cheap as chips in the states

I'm not aware of "preppers" putting it on a pedestal. Most of them would rather have an AR. But in answer to your question regarding M1s, no, there ain't shed loads of them. There are a few available through the Civilain Marksmanship Program (Special Grade and higher) but they're limited and a bit pricey www.thecmp.org/cmp_sales Those already in private hands are more expensive. The commercial version of the M14 (the M1A) is readily available but at over $1000 a copy for the cheaper ones, not all that affordable www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The Nagant does seem to figure a lot in post-apocalyptic novels, especially those written by Preppers as both entertaining novels and instruction guides.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
MN were good in its days. The Mauser Gewehr 98 and 98k were better. Since then many rifles are better. New tech, better design and metallurgy.
I think the preppers tend to look on the price, and maybe some kind of nostalgia?

If I wanted a gun for the " prepper situations" I think I would select something like a s/s Ruger.

Unless I turn mad and go for a .32 cal smoothbore!!
:)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The Nagant does seem to figure a lot in post-apocalyptic novels, especially those written by Preppers as both entertaining novels and instruction guides.

Do you have any specific novels? I can almost see it in in pure fiction ones. Instruction ones would be strange indeed (Some might indeed prefer a bolt action, but you'd think they'd want one chambered for a commonly available ammo?)

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
Part of the allure of the Mosin Nagant -its cheap to buy and shoot. A200 dollar rifle here in Canada and the ammo is about 30 cents a round including our sales taxes. Agreed I like my No4 and my friends mint K98 much better but 303 brit and 8 mm Mauser are pricey to reload let alone buy. That being said I have fired all 3 in last 2 months but guess which one I fired the most. Oh the K31 should always be mentioned the 7.5x55 is a great round I really should buy one.

I'm not a prepper well I have a bottle of Rye in basement :)

The gun is rather long with a recoil pad on it and that's why I put it down between shots. If anyone wants to shoot a Mosin 40 times prone with a steel butt plate (see my challenge video from a few years back ) and then tell me I'm recoil sensitive go right ahead... It doesn't kick much standing but prone after a few shots with our a recoil pad shooting is not as fun.
aa
I can get Privy 182 grain ammo for this rifle and will test it out to 5-600 yards. I know my friend with a sniper version gets decent results at 600.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com

Both pursuits are well served by the MN.

Someone understands me :)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Part of the allure of the Mosin Nagant -its cheap to buy and shoot. A200 dollar rifle here in Canada and the ammo is about 30 cents a round including our sales taxes. Agreed I like my No4 and my friends mint K98 much better but 303 brit and 8 mm Mauser are pricey to reload let alone buy. That being said I have fired all 3 in last 2 months but guess which one I fired the most. Oh the K31 should always be mentioned the 7.5x55 is a great round I really should buy one.

I'm not a prepper well I have a bottle of Rye in basement :)

The gun is rather long with a recoil pad on it and that's why I put it down between shots. If anyone wants to shoot a Mosin 40 times prone with a steel butt plate (see my challenge video from a few years back ) and then tell me I'm recoil sensitive go right ahead... It doesn't kick much standing but prone after a few shots with our a recoil pad shooting is not as fun.
aa
I can get Privy 182 grain ammo for this rifle and will test it out to 5-600 yards. I know my friend with a sniper version gets decent results at 600.

My buddy in St Catherine's offered to buy me an SKS. Walmart had some really good ones for Can$300 so for £150 as was it would be cheaper than flying with a rifle.

Now the SKS, that my friends is an amazing piece of kit for your cash. Light, compact, enough power and being semi automatic enough fire power, built to take abuse. That's an investment right there.

Thank you UK state for making it illegal over here. Thank you.

***Slow hand clap***

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
EMP 1500 Miles by Mike Whitworth is one with a lot of prepping/bug out information.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
My buddy in St Catherine's offered to buy me an SKS. Walmart had some really good ones for Can$300 so for £150 as was it would be cheaper than flying with a rifle.

Now the SKS, that my friends is an amazing piece of kit for your cash. Light, compact, enough power and being semi automatic enough fire power, built to take abuse. That's an investment right there.

***Slow hand clap***

I like my SKS its a shooter as well I haven't tried it out to 300 lately but its a nice light gun. It will shoot if you do your part. I like that we can get cheap non corrosive ammo for it. That will be a good work out for the eyes.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

***Slow hand clap***

I had a Russian SKS a few years ago and it was indeed a great little gun. I think I paid just 0ver $100 for it in the early 1990s. When I first got back from England in 1989 they were on the racks at the gun stores for less than $40 (I wish I'd bought several then!) Anyway, after shooting it and enjoying it thouroughly for about 5 years I sold it to buy a Ruger Mini-14. No regrets buying the Mini-14 but I wish I'd kept the SKS as well; we can still buy/sell/trade them here but importation has been cut off a few years now so the prices are going up accordingly :( Around that $300 mark you mentioned (if there was still a way to import them, the price should still be less than $200)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE