Mors Kochanski Flip Flop Winch in action.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brusher

Sep 11, 2017
New Forest
I recently had the opportunity to try out a Flip Flop winch to pull down a hanging tree. I was impressed with how well this simple set up worked and the amount of leverage it was possible to obtain. The two of us dragged the tree 6-7 foot along the ground until it finally came down. The tension on the rope was considerable, but it held out until the job was finished! I'll definitely be using this technique again.

36539733_10155668783791958_8015859930252705792_n.jpg

Reactions: bopdude and Paulm

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I used this technique the other day with a hung up tree in a local nature reserve. Always handy to be able to improvise earned my an extra custard cream.

A skill that earns you an extra cream custard.. Priceless.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Have used this to pull vehicles in recovery simulations. Rope really needs to be non-stretch, and there can be a tremendous amount of energy stored even so. We used a dyneema winch rope and it took four people to rotate the log through the 180degree load arc.

Chris

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I confess I'm worried about people trying this without suitable rope and other precautions. If you are pulling a decent load you'll have the same tension as using a winch with all the safety issues involved (rated shackles, non-stretch winch rope etc. etc.). It's a great tool for an otherwise impossible situation but is no less dangerous than standard winching for which you would need a LANTRA certificate in a commercial environment.

Just take care that's all :)

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE