More Man Cave improvements

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
My workshop isn't big enough. Again :rolleyes: So I have started to build another extension, and a porch :D

The new room (4.8m x 4.8m, or 15' in old money) is destined to have machines that don't like the toxic atmosphere of the forge, such as my welder and a metal lathe. The small room running along to the lean to that houses my generator will have my air compressors in it and the sand blasting cabinet to keep those out of the way as well.

The porch is basically to keep me from getting wet when I move from one room to another. There will also be an outdoor workbench and a seat I think

ext1.jpg ext2.jpg ext3.jpgext4.jpg ext7.jpg

As of today (20th july), I have got the oak supports (20 or so) sunk a foot in the ground and levelled off using a chainsaw and spirit level (the highest is less than 1cm above the lowest). I have also got the skeleton up, minus the gable and roof beams. The wooden parts of the porch only reach as far as the end of the old building so far. It's going to stall until next week now as I have to go and demonstrate at Corfe Castle for the rest of the week/weekend :rolleyes:

more to follow. Drektly...

Attachments

• ext5.jpg
    ext5.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 36
  • ext6.jpg
    ext6.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 40

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Awesome, wish i could have a man cave that size.
I spent 6 hours cleaning my small 8x8 outhouse on sunday.
Cant believe how quickly they fill with unusable carp.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Well, I got back from Corfe Castle on sunday night (not the most productive or profitable week of my summer) and had monday morning off. Went out to the woods for a spell in the afternoon, then again for the last couple of days to continue with The Build. All week I was stewing, wanting to get on with this whilst the weather is dry.

ext7.jpgext10.jpgext9.jpg

So by the end of today, I now have all of the timber frame finished and most of the feather edge boarding in place. I ran out of nails (a good couple or 3 kilos so far!!!), so will pick some more up tomorrow and finish the gable and short wall off. The walls have damp proof membrane behind the cladding and the inside of the room will also have 6mm ply, like my main workshop. Assuming that doesn't take all day tomorrow I will get on with roofing it too. The roof is corrugated steel and clear fibreglass...

Also, despite ordering more wood than I needed according to my napkin/fagpacket design, I was short by a few lengths of 2x4". Just as well I had odd bits of timber left from things last year and have borrowed from another project to allow me to finish this one. I'll be ordering more building supplies soon, so I'll pay the tab off then ;) The lesson to this story is order more than you think you will need and then DON'T KEEP CHANGING YOUR DESIGN!!!! I think I changed bits 3 times between ordering the wood and getting it built. :rolleyes:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
looking good there....would be good to visit again and see all your hard work and changes....hope ya neighbour didnt kick off too much at you carting half a timber yard across the field lol!

s

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
here we are again, after another couple of days work :) I had to stop for a while due to the rain late last week, apparently wet clay covered shoes is not conducive to effective scrambling on a sheet metal roof!

I forgot to factor in the timber for the doors when I ordered the wood before, so they will have to be built in a few weeks time when I'm able to get on again (after the moot and the Gathering). I also discovered that measuring the existing roofing sheets to gauge the correct size was a mistake, I needed an extra 6" or so, so I will have to get some a couple of bits of roofing made up to fudge it :rolleyes: Just as well the manufactures are only half a mile down the road! The rusty old sheet down where the steel racking is will be replaced with shiny new green when I get down there, drektly.

ext11.jpgext12.jpgext13.jpg

When I get it all done I'll climb a ladder and get a proper picture of the whole building, showing off the magnificent porch :) I replaced a couple of the Onduline sheets on the main roof with clear plastic whilst I was at it, just coz it was always a bit too dark at the back of the forge. It is now disconcertingly bright back there, I keep thinking that I've left a light on! I can actually find things in the cupboard!

So, another delivery of wood to come later this week (I doubt I'll get to the moot before friday now :( ) and I can get doors on and a floor installed. Then I can start buying the machines that this whole thing has been about housing!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That looks like a hell of a lot of work well done. No such thing as a fudge or bodge only "features"

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
That looks like a hell of a lot of work well done. No such thing as a fudge or bodge only "features"

it certainly is. Especially in the middle of my busy season and for the purpose of housing a new toy that I've gotta think up uses for and that I haven't bought yet! I think in this case fudge is appropriate, there are only so many features one man can make!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
The building has a Prior Notification for an agricultural or forestry building. When I originally looked into building it I called the local planning dept and got a different answer from each person I spoke to, so I had the Head Planning Officer come out for a site visit. I was totally upfront about what the building would be for and he told me what to apply for :) Importantly, this level of permission is available for sheds/barns/etc in agricultural land of a minimum acreage (6 hectares?), but there is NO minimum size if it is forest or woodland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE