Moosehide for snowshoe babiche

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
One of the dispatchers at work hit a moose, night before last. The meat is spoken for, but no one wanted the hide, so I spoke up for it.

I've been planning on making another pair of snowshoes, but have been concerned I didn't have enough moosehide babiche to lace it. I do have a couple of cowhides, but moosehide seems to work better.

To prepare the hide I will have to slip the hair, scrape the flesh side, and cut the hide into rounds about the size of a garbage can cover. The rounds can be more easily stored and prepared than a whole hide. To make babiche, I soak the round for a day and cut 1/4 inch strips going around in a circle with a utility knife or leather shears.

I have a nice 15"X 1"X 9' white ash board to cut the frames out of, and my new form is almost done. I don't think I've ever used white ash before, as black ash is most prominent locally. I'm planning on making a 16"X 48" frame, which is two inch wider than most snowshoes I've done. I'm also planning on doing a very tight weave.

I will try and remember to take photos as I'm working to post to this forum.

Here is the only photo I have with snowshoes in my photobucket:

PierreinTentSmall.jpg

PG

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Would be nice to see some pictures of your process, I have a hard time getting a picture by the words alone. I would like to learn from you mate.

By the way, how heavy is your tent in the picture, I mean the whole lot even with the stove. At the moment I only have my heavy army tent with a stove and for that I need to take the snow-maschine along as the tent alone is around 40kg :eek:

cheers
Abbe

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
torjusg said:
Isn't moose hide too heavy for snowshoes? I have heard that mountain goat is ideal and that reindeer hide is the most commonly used.

Torjus Gaaren

Moose hide is normally used here. Years ago, before the advent of varnishing snowshoes, Ojibwe often used beaver babiche, because the skin was oily, and less likely, in the short run, to stretch. Ojibwe also strung their snowshoes with a very tight weave - seldom seen today. These are known as "moggasin" snowshoes, vs the "boot" snowshoes most often used by whites. Ojibwe only used their snowshoes for one season, breaking them up in a ceremony, as spring approached.

As most folks, nowdays, like their snowshoes to last more than one season, moose is the preferred babiche (varnished, of course) to lace snowshoes. Moose babiche also handles the use of boots much better than the thin tight weave used by old time Ojibwe.

I'll try to put up some photos. I have a 100+ year old pair strung by my g-g-g-grandmother, and you will be able to compare the difference between them and some I've made.

As to reindeer, there are only about 20 in Lake County, and I don't think the owner would care to see me stalking them.

Here is an e-bay example (though a poor one) of the tighter weave on a pair of NDN "moggasin" snowshoes. You can also see that the babiche has stretched. It looks like someone has tried to restring the toes and tails on this pair - and done a poor job.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-pair-of...ryZ58136QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is an e-bay example of the looser thicker weave on a "boot" snowshoe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Snowsho...ryZ58136QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PG

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
BorderReiver said:
Yes Abbe,I was admiring the tent too. :)

me three.. pierre girard you are going to have to show us some more pictures of that tent and stove set up you got there...

those snow shoes however, to me, are a work of art in themselvs and i would love to see the process you go through to make some, i look forward to seeing you pictures :D

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
This is the only other photo of the tent that I have in my photobucket. I have more at home - will try to get a few posted. These photos were taken in the spring during maple sugar camp (you can see some of the younger maples in the backround)

TentPaTimSmall.jpg

The tent weighs (goes to conversion chart) 6.8 KG and the stove weighs 3.6 KG - with the stove pipe. O.K. for hauling on a toboggan. In summer, for packing, we don't haul the stove.

The tent is made by Empire Canvas Works.

http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/

The stove is titanium and is made by the Four Dog Stove Co.

http://www.fourdog.com/page3.html

Got tired of using tents that didn't work well in winter and stoves that kept burning out and weighed too much.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Photos of snowshoes:

snowshoes001.jpg

snowshoes002.jpg

The one on the left is an Ojibwe "moggasin" snowshoe made by my g-g-g-grandmother - notice the tight weave. The one in the center is a "boot" snowshoe made by John Harju, a local Finn. Notice the looser thicker weave. The one on the right is one I've made.

A couple more photos of the snow tent:

DSC01813.jpg

DSC01814.jpg

PG

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
pierre girard said:
Photos of snowshoes:

snowshoes001.jpg

snowshoes002.jpg

The one on the left is an Ojibwe "moggasin" snowshoe made by my g-g-g-grandmother - notice the tight weave. The one in the center is a "boot" snowshoe made by John Harju, a local Finn. Notice the looser thicker weave. The one on the right is one I've made.

A couple more photos of the snow tent:

DSC01813.jpg

DSC01814.jpg

PG

Very nice snowshoes all of them. Did she use beaverhide on that moggasin?

I assume that the tighter weave make you float better on the snow?

Torjus Gaaren

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
torjusg said:
Very nice snowshoes all of them. Did she use beaverhide on that moggasin?

I assume that the tighter weave make you float better on the snow?

Torjus Gaaren

Beaver: I believe so, though I'm not positive. It is definitely a thinner hide.

Float: Yes, it will keep you from sinking in as far - though this pair, built about 1900, has been retired.

PG

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
They are very nice snowshoes, I would like to try out a nice and tight woven snowshoe. I have an Alaskan very long, from Faber, I love them but they are a pain to work with in the bushes placing out my traps. I would like to try out the bearpaw design, big and round tight woven ones. Mine are long and get hung up on the trees when I move around working around my traps.

cool pictures mate, I love your tent too.

cheers
Abbe

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Pierre,thankyou for the excellent photographs and the interesting facts and stories about your family and your area. :You_Rock_

Really appreciate the effort. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE