Modified sheath - Picture heavy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I had a little time today to myself so decided to work on making my leather belt sheath a bit more.. to my liking!

It's the standard sheath for the Buck 110 hunting folding knife and although a nice thick servicable sheath I didn't like the over sized belt loop and found the button flap somewhat slow and in the way, especially when you have to tug on it and the massive belt loop makes the whole sheath move up!

Anyway, I set to work on changing it so it fit my knife and belt better! :D

Some work in progress pic's for you all!

The original sheath..

DSCF4340_zps7040af65.jpg

DSCF4339_zps9ad29968.jpg

unpick the stitching with me ol' sak scissors!

DSCF4342_zps01430cca.jpg

cut off the flap and remove that 'Buck' button for later..

DSCF4343_zpsf3e7d212.jpg

DSCF4346_zps4684a95e.jpg

And after I straightened out the belt loop and restitched it with some artifical sinew..

DSCF4352_zps2a1647a8.jpg

DSCF4353_zpse9d19bd4.jpg

I epoxied that button over the hole where the popper was, as I drilled that out..

I was going to leave it there as it worked well to keep the knife in place and looked alright but I had an idea to make it look and actually hold the knife better. Wet form!

After a minute under the tap, it was all soft and floppy (that's what she said! ;) ) and time to shape the now very flexible leather around the knife and dry with wifeys hair dryer! took about 10 minutes to get it dry and I can imagine over night to be completely dry and stiff again.

I think it looks good :)

DSCF4361_zps428afbcd.jpg

DSCF4362_zpsa22b9ad7.jpg

do you like it?

Incase anyone is curious I dyed the cut leather sections with vinegaroon, a home made leather dye (chemical compound made from vinegar and dissolved wire wool) and it made the pinkish colour leather go black almost instantly! very good stuff indeed, and I'm glad I took the time a few weeks ago to knock a batch up!

So, my new sheath looks how I wanted it to and holds my favourite lock knife securely! I'm pleased and I got to try out a few new tricks ;)

Thanks for looking dudes! :)

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Very nice, that vinegaroon, is it just wire wool in vinegar (how much of each ), or, do you need to do owt else ?

Rev G

I used a fat ahndful of fine wire wool in half a jar of white vinegar. left it for 2weeks with the lid undone so it didn't pop off. shake it every other day and filter through tissue when all the wool has vanished into black sludgy muck! :)

it doesn't actually dye the leather, it chemically alters it perminantly so it will never run or wear off either. deffinately worth trying if you leather you want to protect/colour :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a great mod! Like you, my lock knife of choice is a 110 and I've never been able to use the pouch, they're dreadful! But now there's a solution............thanks for posting that one.........atb mac

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nice work, did similar with a pouch,prefer the ease of use if wearing it on my belt.

I get the sheath is a simple design but it really isn't very good so no wonder why we all cut them up!

Very nice mod. Like the popper on the front to keep the name, but the wet forming makes all the difference. Looks proper now :)

That's a great mod! Like you, my lock knife of choice is a 110 and I've never been able to use the pouch, they're dreadful! But now there's a solution............thanks for posting that one.........atb mac

tell me about it, tried the sheath for a day but it's just not very good. doesn't take alot to correct it though and the leather is pretty decent!

looks great I have a similar sheath where the popper in knackered, know what I am going to do with it now.

Yes I am shamelessly going to copy it :)

goodjob
:thankyou:

Lol, go for it! make sure to post a pic' up when all is done though! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE