Modified polish lavvu tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chairman meow

Feb 26, 2018
Hampshire
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nNjriB7pvrFxVQDD2

Hi all first time poster here.

While looking through YouTube I came across the Simon a bloke in the woods video I thought the modifications he had done to his polish lavvu were great and it would be a great way to get outside with my 5 year old daughter only problem was I can't sew for toffee so a quick Google search and I found my way onto this forum. I got in touch with scotisha5 and told him what I wanted. So the modifications I had done were
1. Both halves sewn together
2. Zip to front entrance 8mm self healing nylon zip with metal sliders
3. Removable groundsheet fitted 560g pvc coated polyester light grey to add light to interior
4. Zips to armholes
5.sidewalls to raise height, sidewalls are fitted with an opening upright zip and sidewall zip, canvas is 360g fire rot mildew angle dirt resistant in green
6. Tin grommets removed and 25mm webbing loops fitted and nexus d rings
7. Webbing and d ring to top to enable it to be hung

Its amazing how much room there is now in the tent now and we took it out for the first time today and it works a treat. Really pleased with it and cheers scotisha5 :)

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Hi Tim,

Great to see you out with your wee daughter and she looks like she is having fun. Im also delighted your happy with the mods I did to your Lavuu. It will last you a long time and i wish you many happy nights out in it.

Anyone else looking for any mods to anything please get in touch and I’ll do my best to help you out.

Thanks again Tim for your custom and keep in touch regarding those other things you want done.

Best wishes

John

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
Hi Tim,

Great to see you out with your wee daughter and she looks like she is having fun. Im also delighted your happy with the mods I did to your Lavuu. It will last you a long time and i wish you many happy nights out in it.

Anyone else looking for any mods to anything please get in touch and I’ll do my best to help you out.

Thanks again Tim for your custom and keep in touch regarding those other things you want done.

Best wishes

John

I must say that has to be the best custom surplus tent set-up I have ever seen, excellent work!:)

Reactions: scottisha5

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
I must say that has to be the best custom surplus tent set-up I have ever seen, excellent work!:)

Many thanks WealdenWoodsman for your kind comments. The lift on the Lavuu with the side skirts really does make a huge difference to the space inside.

The skirts are fitted with velcro so the groundsheet can be removed or folded in half etc etc.

All webbing and zips are military standard and the threads are V69 bonded polyester.

All work is done on industrial machines.

Thank you again

John

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Hi Janne,

The weight of a Lavuu before any mods is around 3.5kg (7lbs).

Adding skirts puts around another 1lb give or take.

The groundsheet depends purely on what material you want it made from.

This groundsheet was made from 560g PVC and weighs in at around 2lbs. Its extremely durable. Its also fitted with velcro so it can be removed or folded to suit conditions.

Lighter but useable groundsheets can be made much much lighter if indeed you want/need a groundsheet at all

Its all down to personal choice and how you intend to use the set up.

So in summation this particular set up weighs around 10lbs with pegs, poles and tie outs.

A lighter set up could weigh around 9lbs.

Hope this helps

Please feel free to contact me if you want to discuss any modifications. I can make anything out of most materials for bushcrafting.

Atb
John

Attachments

• E14A4205-9F2F-48E0-B1E8-3B3AA1364017.jpeg
    E14A4205-9F2F-48E0-B1E8-3B3AA1364017.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 76

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Sundowner, they come in three sizes.
I’m told way to tell if the printing isnt legible is by looking at the tin grommets at the end of the buttons.

1 grommet = Small - 160-170cm
2 grommets = Medium - 170-180cm
3 grommets = Large - 180-190cm

Sizes relate to the height of a soldier wearing the item as a poncho.

Height unmodded is approx 1.4m in the centre. Modded in this example 1.65m.

Hope this answers your question. Anything else give me a shout

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Now that looks a great mod, and very similar to one I have been thinking of for mine! might have to send Scottisha5 a pm, to further discuss

Justin Heydon

Nov 9, 2017
Manchester
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nNjriB7pvrFxVQDD2

Hi all first time poster here.

While looking through YouTube I came across the Simon a bloke in the woods video I thought the modifications he had done to his polish lavvu were great and it would be a great way to get outside with my 5 year old daughter only problem was I can't sew for toffee so a quick Google search and I found my way onto this forum. I got in touch with scotisha5 and told him what I wanted. So the modifications I had done were
1. Both halves sewn together
2. Zip to front entrance 8mm self healing nylon zip with metal sliders
3. Removable groundsheet fitted 560g pvc coated polyester light grey to add light to interior
4. Zips to armholes
5.sidewalls to raise height, sidewalls are fitted with an opening upright zip and sidewall zip, canvas is 360g fire rot mildew angle dirt resistant in green
6. Tin grommets removed and 25mm webbing loops fitted and nexus d rings
7. Webbing and d ring to top to enable it to be hung

Its amazing how much room there is now in the tent now and we took it out for the first time today and it works a treat. Really pleased with it and cheers scotisha5 :)
How much were the mods pal?

hoboinacave85

Apr 25, 2015
grimsby
Hi very interested in having these mods done to mine once I have sourced one. How much would it cost for the above mods to he done? Regards Mick

Meldive

Nov 22, 2018
Dorset
Hi Tim,

Best wishes

John
Hi John I'm interested in getting similar mods done, can you advise on costs etc.

Many thanks

aberration123

Jan 17, 2019
UK
Hi Tim,

Best wishes

John

Good evening,

Searched for modified Lavvu and ended up here, as a new member. Interested in getting some work done to my new Lavvu.

Your modifications look awesome, very nicely done indeed.

How do we contact you?

Kind regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason1985

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE